View Full Version : Indexer Mounting

rgreever
01-22-2016, 10:06 AM
So, I'm getting all ready to try out the indexer, and I have it mounted on the PRS-Alpha running parallel to the X-Axis all the way on the far side of the table.

I thought I would have enough clearance, but I don't even have enough room for the spindle w/bit to clear a 3" diameter column of material. The job that I was trying to set this indexer up for--we need to cut an 8" diameter column! No dice in this configuration, unfortunately.

Looking over the table, it seems there's no good way to mount the indexer to accommodate such a job. We have an ATC at the back of SB, so that spot, (running the indexer Y-parallel), isn't really an option. Mounting on the far side rail, similar to how it's set up in SB's production facility, doesn't seem like an option either, as our spoilboard on that side would be in the way.

I can provide pictures of our set up, to give folks a better idea of what we're working with here, but I'm kinda at a loss. I really don't think we are going to be capable of doing this 8" column on this machine, unless we can come up with a really creative mounting solution for the indexer.

Any ideas? How did you guys find the optimum spot to mount your indexer?

Thanks in advance!

myxpykalix
01-22-2016, 12:59 PM
post some pictures, then we can see better what we're working with. Maybe also some pics with a measuring tape to show distances. I may have some ideas.

Brady Watson
01-22-2016, 07:35 PM
You won't get an 8" column down the X unless you have a 12" Z setup. This means and extra set of table sides (drops table 6") and a 14" Z, plus either the 12" Z leg set or drilling holes for the extra table sides.

-B

kubotaman
02-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Send a PM to me. Maybe I can help.

rgreever
05-20-2016, 01:51 PM
Send a PM to me. Maybe I can help.
You've exceeded your inbox storage for PMs...lol
Here's what I was going to send you...
Hey man, We've slowed down a little bit at the shop and I'm revisiting mounting the indexer, as well as incorporating some aluminum t-track for hold downs into the table. I'd love to see some pictures of your setup. You can send them to ryan(at)glazingmanagement.com. At your convenience, of course. I'm in no hurry.

Because we only have one set of side rails, I don't think the side mount is an option. I'm looking at removing the spoilboards all the way to the blue steel frame, and mounting some .5" 8020 t-tracks that I can then mount the indexer aluminum plates too. That will give me the most clearance, Clarence...