View Full Version : Aspire rendering question

DavidS
01-25-2016, 10:24 AM
A question from a very new Forum member. Considering getting the DeskTop in the months ahead. Have been working through many of the Shopbot / Vectric tutorials, reading as many Q&A’s in the Forum as possible and using the trial software in an attempt to get up to speed.
As a retired high school Tech Ed teacher having taught cabinet making, CAD, graphic design and some robotics I am comfortable in the shop but hands on CNC work is very new for me. Have many questions but my first is in regards to the rendering the software generates showing the tool paths, cuts and final image. Using Aspire I’d like to be able to reproduce photos in Corian at a finish size of 1/4” X 1 3/4” X 1 3/8 “ as an oval. A round or square shape would be great as well. The rendering looks terrific and I would be extremely happy if I can produce that quality. I used a 1/8” ball nose for the roughing pass, and a 1/64” Tapered Ball Nose with a 4% step over for the finish pass. Am I in the ball park with my specifications or are my expectations unrealistic? These are not Lithophanes for clarification.

cowboy1296
01-25-2016, 10:33 AM
where did you find a 1/64 inch ball nose. That has to be smaller than a strand of hair. What you see in the preview is pretty much what you get in the final cutting. But i have never done 3-d in corian and would like to see how that turns out.

Typically i use a 1/4 inch ball nose end mill for roughing. In my finishing i use a 7 or 8% step over but i have never done anything this small and again i have never done 3-d in corian.

DavidS
01-25-2016, 12:38 PM
I found the 1/64" BN on the Bits and Bits web site - bitsbits.com. As I stated this is all new to me and my choice of bits, etc is only based on info I've gathered in trying to research the topic. I may be completely out to lunch on my selection. Appreciate your feedback on the preview window. Wish I had a shopbotter close by that could do a sample run for me.

scottp55
01-25-2016, 01:25 PM
DavidS,
You'd be welcome for a visit up here if you'd like?
Got 2 Desktops in the house right now.
NOT a lot of 3D, and never cut Corian, but it would give you an idea because I do mainly small stuff.
Small Bloodwood is 1.5X2.2"
Laid up at moment, but should be good in 3 weeks or so for a long demo.
IF you would do the able body work, then I'd be able to do a 2-3 hour now.
Just saying.
E-mail is under my contact info.
Maybe call Dianne at Shopbot and see if another Desktop Demo person is closer?
You bring the bit and material and we could try it----NOT responsible for bit:)
scott

cowboy1296
01-25-2016, 02:23 PM
I have to assume that the desk top comes with 1/2 and 1/4 inch collets. I never bought a 1/32 inch bit due to the fear of breaking it, so for my hardwood 1/64 is just something you read about. But precise bits offers a 1/32 that uses a 1/4 inch collect. they also offer collets as well. http://www.precisebits.com/products/carbidebits/taperedcarve250b4f.asp
I am still interested in how this turns out. Some people do 3-d without a roughing cut, but in your case i strongly "GUESS"
that you should.

DavidS
01-25-2016, 02:49 PM
Thanks Scott for the offer. I will be in touch.

bob_dodd
01-25-2016, 03:36 PM
David
I have a DT and have done some small stuff in corian mostly Lithos but do have a 3D carving in corian this was done with a 1/32" BN Kyocera 1/8" shankhttp://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27151&stc=1http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27152&stc=1http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27153&stc=1

scottp55
01-25-2016, 05:52 PM
Bob,
Drillman1?
Did you like the cut quality?
scott

bob_dodd
01-25-2016, 06:52 PM
Scott yes drillman1 , the cut quality was very good ,If I was trying to achieve better results with the DT I would use Drillman1 45 deg vee with a .006 step over , but the added time , depending on the 3D results you want

scottp55
01-25-2016, 07:18 PM
Thanks Bob,
Yep using his .125 30 engraving .012"flat on tiny dished models with good results, but mainly use the .25" shank Onsrud 30 degree because of the CEL and lack of deflection.
Hints on Corian F/S using Drillmans 1/8's for 3D for instance?
Sounds like I MAY have a visitor and no scraps for testing besides the piece you sent, and was saving that for something.
Oh, Can your Meshcam? open a .CRV3D and convert to .stl for me. He has Trial version Aspire and not sure how I'm going to do this.
Probably just take the closest to his from my VCP8 library and try it for him.
scott

bob_dodd
01-25-2016, 08:11 PM
Scott I have Artcam Pro 9 , it can not open .CRV3D , email me about Corian

scottp55
01-25-2016, 08:19 PM
Will do in am,
Thanks Bob,
scott

cowboy1296
01-26-2016, 10:07 AM
and i have about 8 pieces of scrap corian. interesting. Sill waking up what feed rates did you use.