PDA

View Full Version : Is the spindle speed software controllable?

rcnewcomb
02-09-2016, 03:11 PM
On the desktop is the spindle speed controllable through the software, ie. if my spindle speed is set up in my tool database in Aspire will it automatically use that speed, or do I have to adjust it by hand on the VFD?

Kyle Stapleton
02-09-2016, 03:31 PM
Unless they have updated the desktop you have to do it by hand.

tlempicke
02-10-2016, 07:20 AM
On the larger Shopbots you have to install a control board from Shopbot into the VFD. That control board has a separate USB plug that goes in to the control computer. When the software senses that board it presents a small window on the screen of the control computer that gives the speed that is currently in use. You could undoubtedly change out the VFD for a larger one but then you would loose the ability of it to ride along on the Y axis.
I don't know if it is possible to develop a board that would work on our smaller VFD.s but i would surely buy one if it was available.

scottp55
02-10-2016, 07:24 AM
+1 on Kyle's info.
Asked the same question 2 years ago and this is what Ryan at Shopbot sent me as an explanation;

"Scott,

It was in an effort to keep the cost of the Desktop down. We do have this on the list to have as an option, but do not have a completion day set. Rewriting a section of the software is what is the hold up. The proto call to the Desktop VFD is not the same as that of the Gantry machines (they do not speak the same language).

The spindle RPM controller was not offered on the Gantry machines until the ATC (Automatic Tool Changer) was released. The RMP controller is needed on the ATC because the RMP would most likely need change with the cutter, and the operator may not be there to make the adjustment when the tool change occurs. With a none ATC the operator will be there every time the cutter is changed. You can add a pause statement to the file to post a message telling the operator what to set the RMP to. This pause can also be added to the post so you would not need to edit the files.

I hope this helps to explain.

Ryan Patterson