View Full Version : Does anyone have a step-by-step

phil
10-22-2005, 03:03 PM
I have a shop bot in my classroom, this is new to me and needed to know if anyone can provide me with step-by-step instructions to create a simple 2-d name plate. Any teacher who has created a simplified hand-out and has given it to students to follow and has had luck, let me know. I believe I have the basic software that comes with the machine. Thanks

Brady Watson
10-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Phil,
There is an example of creating a single and nested/multiple nameplates in the new PartWizard Training Video that ShopBot now sells. You can read a basic synopsis of the video here (http://www.cncvideos.com)

-Brady

bleeth
10-22-2005, 07:16 PM
Gee: That sounds interesting Brady. Do you happen to know who did that video?

Dave

Con (Unregistered Guest)
10-23-2005, 06:24 PM
Is there anyone who does shopbot training in the Connecticut area for a reasonable price?

Rich b (Unregistered Guest)
10-23-2005, 06:31 PM
Has any Shopbot users found the training video any good?

Brady Watson
10-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Con,
What's a 'reasonable price' to you?

-Brady

ed_lang
10-23-2005, 09:51 PM
I am a new owner. One week to be exact.
I found the video to be a GREAT help to me. I am one who learns better if you show me something, don't give me a book and say read it and just do it.

I look forward to the next video and hope it is released soon.

zeykr
10-24-2005, 09:20 AM
Phil,
Try contacing mitchjr on the artcam forum. He is a shop teacher in PA.

http://forum.artcam.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=65

wiese
11-14-2006, 08:36 PM
A few years ago I put together some ShopBot lessons for use in our high school Tech Lab and gave them to the ShopBot folks for distribution on their web site. I hope to be finished with an updated version in a couple days. Before it goes on the ShopBot download page, I would welcome any editing, suggestions, proofreading, additions, etc. that any Botters out there may have to offer.

The lessons include:
1. Generating toolpaths from a stl file in Mill Wizard and machining the part.
2. Creating a name plaque and a clock in Part Wizard 3 and machining both.

The lessons are designed to be completed in nine 45 minute periods. The files are in Microsoft Word format. If anyone is interested, I could email the files.

paco
11-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Mill Wizard?! What about Cut 3D (http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757&highlight=&sid=88502cb14389e46 31f7f6cab44c8e0df)?

Part Wizard?!... Humm okay... but what about V Carve PRO?!

8-D

Keep up the good work!

wayneo
11-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Hi Jay,
Yes, I would be interested in receiving a copy for review.

Check my email on my profile..

Regards,

Wayneo

billp
11-16-2006, 01:49 PM
To ALL teachers/administrators/, etc.
As some of you know, we have been trying to figure out a way to 'standardize'a basic Shopbot curriculum which could be used as an aid for both students and staff. The major limitation we have run into is that there really is NO "universal" curriculum out there that would incorporate the variety of ways the Shopbot is currently being used.
We have people in elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, and universities all trying to incorporate the machine into pre existing guidelines. In some instances the tool is used in vocational programs. While in other facilities it is used as a teaching tool for computer/CAD/CAM/engineering classes. There are even art departments creating products for their applications as well.
SO we have all of the above varieties of implementation, as well as the fact that not everyone has the same software on hand. Couple this with the fact that in numerous cases the teacher in charge is dealing with CNC technology
for the first time, and you can start to see why we're not having an easy time creating a "universal recipe" for everyone.
Some teachers such as Jay, have posted their teaching plans for public use. I know that there are many more people who have also created something which would probably benefit others as well. So I am proposing that if you DO have ANY "lesson plans", project plans, curriculum guides, etc. you submit them to me/us, and we'll make them available for anyone who needs something to get started with.
This request also goes out to those in industry who have similar issues in training their new staff members as well. While the general concepts are the same, it's the method and level of delivery that usually needs to be "custom fit" for each group. It can be something as simple as a single plan for a small project, everything will help us build a resource we can keep adding to. And obviously with more of us working on this, we can spread the load more evenly.
We have even toyed with the idea of a specialized "teacher's Camp" where we spend ALL of our time
working on ways to make the process more accessible for everyone ( here again we'd have to either find one central location, OR do this on a regional basis the way we now handle our Camps). Another option is to do it a day before a regional Camp so people can get double duty for their time/travel.
If anyone has other ideas of ways to further this concept please chime in ! If you have any specific questions you might want to ask,or suggestions that you want to present offline,you can reach me at; campwizard@comcast.net (mailto:campwizard@comcast.net)
I think we have enough of a track record out there in the schools to show how the machine is a valuable teaching aid. Now we just need a way to take things to the next level....

jf_allie
11-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Bill,
I think the ShopBot Wiki could be put to good use here.