PDA

View Full Version : SHOPBOT software and WIN 10?

weihmue
03-06-2016, 07:10 PM
Hi,
I'm setting up a new computer Win10 and having some trouble with the software.
is Windows 10 supported?

"CONTROL CARD ERROR"

thank you,

stefan

weihmue
03-06-2016, 07:29 PM
never mind ... a computer restart fixed it.

JohnCoker
04-28-2016, 01:47 PM
So, I take it that the SB3 software works just fine on Windows 10? (I'm still closing the GWX nagging each time I use the Windows 7 control computer.)

srwtlc
04-28-2016, 02:58 PM
If you want to get rid of the nag of Win 10 and all the files that it is downloading for setup, either of these are good.

Never 10 (https://www.grc.com/never10.htm)

GWX Control Panel (http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/)

JohnCoker
04-29-2016, 12:51 AM
If you want to get rid of the nag of Win 10 and all the files that it is downloading for setup, either of these are good.
Yeah, I did some googling and that's an option, but eventually I'll need to update that computer and I'm considering a second ShopBot which will need a new computer. So I wanted to know if taking the path of least resistance and giving in to Windows 10 was reasonable.

johnsontoddr
04-29-2016, 11:59 PM
Yeah, I did some googling and that's an option, but eventually I'll need to update that computer and I'm considering a second ShopBot which will need a new computer. So I wanted to know if taking the path of least resistance and giving in to Windows 10 was reasonable.

I just received my Desktop Max this past Monday and am running it with a new Dell laptop with Windows 10. The only thing I've noticed that is odd is that if the laptop is on battery power, jogging the x, y, or z axis does not work at all.The Shopbot just lurches and grinds. Once I plug in the power adapter, all is well. Not sure if that is Win 10 specific or not. Vcarve Pro and Fusion 360 work too.

Todd

jerry_stanek
04-30-2016, 06:19 AM
It may be the Dell their USB ports are not very good

Tom-3344
04-30-2016, 09:39 AM
Been running Win10 on my Bot dedicated computer for 3 months (the nagging always clicked change caught me off guard after the 100th time). No issues with SB control or Vcarve 8. However, I have a newer BT48 with new control cards.

bill.young
04-30-2016, 05:25 PM
In general it's not a good idea to run a ShopBot with any laptop if it's not plugged in. There's a lot of weird power management things happening with a laptop which can cause all kinds of problems. You and your ShopBot will be much happier if you keep it plugged in.

Bill

bill.young
04-30-2016, 05:37 PM
It may indeed be that Dell computers cause problems for some, but that hasn't been my experience. For most of the time that I've been running ShopBots the majority of the computers I've used have been commodity Dell's. I don't know how many sheets I've cut with them, but I'd be surprised if it was much less than 5000. For the last 10 years I've exclusively used Dell computers, except for some oddball tablets and netbooks that I've used for a Handibot.

Your mileage may certainly vary, but they've worked fine for me on the 5 assorted ShopBots I currently have in the shop.

jerry_stanek
04-30-2016, 05:55 PM
It may indeed be that Dell computers cause problems for some, but that hasn't been my experience. For most of the time that I've been running ShopBots the majority of the computers I've used have been commodity Dell's. I don't know how many sheets I've cut with them, but I'd be surprised if it was much less than 5000. For the last 10 years I've exclusively used Dell computers, except for some oddball tablets and netbooks that I've used for a Handibot.

Your mileage may certainly vary, but they've worked fine for me on the 5 assorted ShopBots I currently have in the shop.

Not sure about that I have tried 6 different Dells and everyone has cause me problems. I have used HPs Toshibas and Lenovos with no problems just the Dells. I even have run it on my HP netbook doing a 3 hour cut.

bill.young
04-30-2016, 06:12 PM
Like I said your mileage may vary, but Dell's have worked well for me so far, both laptops and Desktops. I've heard speculation say that they have USB power management problems, but it's not something I've experienced.

I am paranoid about USB and thumb drives though and always shut down the ShopBot software before inserting thumb drives and copying files. I also always eject the thumb drive and remove it before restarting the ShopBot software. I'm sure it's not necessary, but I never have connection problems so figure there's no need to tempt fate.

Bill

jerry_stanek
05-01-2016, 07:20 PM
I never use a thumb drive on my control computer. I have a NAS that I transfer my files from to the desktop.