PDA

View Full Version : Raised Panel Doors

smk
01-19-2007, 01:01 PM
What would it take to use the ShopBot to make raised panel doors? (Router Bits, SB Files, Etc)

JR

zeykr
01-19-2007, 02:05 PM
JR,
search this forum for 'freedoors'. A couple shopbotters have made the software available for free.

smk
01-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks Ken,

And does anyone know of any router bits that will work with the sb? (like the ones here: http://www.freudtools.com/woodworkers/rep/router_bits/Router_Bits/Rsd_Panel/html/Rsd_Panel_1.html )

JR

oddcoach
01-19-2007, 10:42 PM
are you looking to make real raised panel doors? stiles rails and panels or fake 1 piece mdf?

smk
01-19-2007, 11:06 PM
real raised panel doors, out of 3/4 inch stock. We are looking into the possibility of using the sb to make them instead of a shaper...

myxpykalix
01-20-2007, 06:56 AM
I am working on a project of wainscoting which is essentially the same process of making doors with rails and stiles and raised panels and such. It is my opinion that if you must make them as seperate pieces and put them together you are better off doing it on the shaper.

In doing it that way you have 3 bit changes and are just running one edge thru at a time for your rails and stiles and raised panel. Then you have the assembly time. And the chance that something is going to be out of square, ect.

On the other hand if you want to do a fake raised panel door with rails and stiles and carvings you can create something like this in about 30 minutes. That is after you spend the time toolpathing and designing, ect. The pic isn't the best because of the angle and having to make it small to fit here. You can draw accent lines to simulate the rail and stile joints (I didn't here) and you wouldn't know the difference. To my way of thinking you are much better off making it as one piece on the bot. I ordered 3 different bits to do that design that cost about $120.00 total.

oddcoach
01-20-2007, 11:18 AM
If you want to make doors with cathedral tops the shopbot is the way to go. If the everything is straight then invest in a powerfeeder it will be much faster than using the shopbot. any of the routerbit sets for raised panels will work on the shopbot. you will need to take off the bearings