PDA

View Full Version : Two-sided Carving a Dish

AndyPitts
05-10-2016, 11:19 AM
At the risk of being told there are better ways to do this ;-) (to which I agree there are always improvements to be made), here is a video I posted that shows how I used Aspire and a ShopBot Desktop to make a nice, graceful wood dish. I hope it helps someone here. And, if you look very closely you can see that I changed from a raster roughing tool path to a z-level roughing tool path on the inside between the day I filmed the ShopBot action and the day I recorded the Aspire work. Continuous process improvement, right? Andy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ojCcb-7GA

myxpykalix
05-10-2016, 08:11 PM
Very cool...i admit i skipped thru the video some, and maybe you talked about it, but what length bit did you use having to use 2.5" material?
Also have you experienced any cupping or warping after having cut away so much material? I did a deep cutting and carving on some 10 year dry walnut for a blanket chest lid and it cupped terribly after releasing all the material from around the carving. Excellent work!

AndyPitts
05-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Thanks Jack! The bits are 3" long with 1-1/4" cutter length. Fully engaged in the collet, the bit shows 1-3/4", pretty tight for this deep cut. I cheat a little on the collet to get some more exposure of the bit. I'm using KD wood from my solar kiln at about 7-8% MC and did not see any reaction of the wood. I do get some reaction from the parts of my Insignia Box, that are 10" w x 12" l, same wood from the same kiln. Could be that the dish is too thin to react, or maybe since it's curved I just cannot see the reaction. Andy

srwtlc
05-11-2016, 05:00 PM
Excellent video, process, and commentary Andy! I like doing bowls and platters this way. So many options, just wish I had more time to do them.

scottp55
05-11-2016, 05:17 PM
NICE Andy:)
Thank you!!
scott

AndyPitts
05-11-2016, 05:42 PM
Thanks Scotts.

scottp55
05-11-2016, 05:59 PM
I knew there were too many of us:)
That's why I'm the lower key scott:)
Anybody heard from Scott Shilala? Back stuff is serious...small messages from friends help more than you might imagine!
scott