PDA

View Full Version : Help needed tweaking a toolpath

rgreever
05-18-2016, 02:34 PM
When using Aspire to create a simple pocket cut which has multiple step-downs to reach the desired depth, the tool raises back to the safe Z2 plunge move height in between passes. For example, let's say I'm trying to cut a 3/4" pocket in 1/4" passes...After the tool completes the first pass at -1/4" z-height, the tool raises to .2" (my current set Z2 Rapid Z Gaps Above Material) before lowering again to -1/2". How do I adjust my settings so that the ShopBot will directly plunge to the next lower pass without raising to the Z2 height each time? Or do I have to manually alter the G-code? That would suck, as it's 5000+ lines...

I have a job that requires hundreds of small pockets, and having the tool travel back up and down between every pass is a real time-waster...

Thanks in advance!

Justin G
05-19-2016, 01:00 AM
I think you may have a lead in or lead out checked. If you do that, it raises to the safe z and ramps /leads in on every new depth. If that's the reason, I know the problem well and lose my mind when I accidentally set it up like that.

rgreever
05-19-2016, 07:14 AM
Hmmm...I'll have to take a look at that. I don't think I set it up with ramps/leads, but doesn't hurt to go over it again. When I get back to the shop...
Thanks for your input, Justin

rgreever
05-19-2016, 11:07 AM
Welp, that wasn't it :confused:
I'm pretty convinced that Vectric's toolpath options are less than to be desired,
especially 3D stuff, like rest machining, 3D roughing, etc...
Most of the time, one has to use a workaround or a gadget or edit the g-code directly to get the desired results.
Not that I'm knocking Vectric all that much. It is a great program for what it is, just needs some refinements here and there