View Full Version : Vcarve Pro ShopBot Edition Question

sluggo
06-12-2016, 08:34 PM
I regularly read the Vectic User Forum related to Vcarve Pro and have noticed that there is a new version out. I'm told I can only get my update through ShopBot as I have Vcarve Pro ShopBot edition.

What is the difference between the SB edition and the standard version Vectric distributes? Do Shopbotters not have access to all features?

Any feedback is appreciated

scottp55
06-12-2016, 08:42 PM
Exactly the same software, but only Shopbot post processors, so can only be used by Shopbots.
Brian at Vectric said they're working on SB VCP8.5 now.
Should be soon?
Hope so, a lot of nice new features.
scott

sluggo
06-12-2016, 08:45 PM
Seriously? So if I buy a different brand CNC, I'm hosed and won't be able to create files from VCP?

sluggo
06-12-2016, 08:59 PM
BTW, thanks for the quick reply, Scott! I always see you post on the Vectric site and I must say that your work is awesome!

I did finally get an email back from SB and they say it is $500 to upgrade to a full version. I assume we got a similar discount when initially buying a ShopBot/Software combo.

Thanks again and have a good evening.

Charlie

scottp55
06-12-2016, 09:02 PM
You get upgrades for a discounted price with Shopbot Edition.
If you don't want the discount, just contact Vectric and pay the full price and get hundreds of PP's most here don't need.
8.5 is a free upgrade, but it's a full install, not a patch, which is why we can't just upgrade from the Help tab like usual.
Thanks for the compliment.
scott
Oh, yes we did thanks to the deal they made with Vectric, but it just brought the price of your machine down by that amount roughly.

sluggo
06-12-2016, 09:18 PM
Thanks again for the feedback. I had my eye on a new machine, but am glad I found out about VCP before getting it. I'd have hated to have it sitting in my shop with no way to control it.

I agree, having all the PP's is not beneficial, but the one time you need something different than SB, you need to be aware than you have to pony up a bit more $$. Now that I am aware of it, I can see that it makes sense SB did it that way to save their customers money.

Charlie

markevans
06-13-2016, 11:31 AM
As Scott said, we get updates at a discount because shopbot is "sponsoring" our using VCP and I'm not trying to encourage bad behavior but for trying it out a lot of other machines run on generic G code and with a bit of searching you can find a generic G code PP.

steve_g
07-02-2016, 03:23 PM
Anyone hear any news on the 8.5 update for the ShopBot version? I’m having a difficult time understanding the delay… Who’s not doing their part? Which way do I point my displeasure?
SG

scottp55
07-02-2016, 06:56 PM
Zilch here Steve and no official response on Vectric forum;
http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25207&p=180529#p180529
Think I'll call Shopbot on Tuesday:(
It Does seem kind of a long delay.
scott

sluggo
07-03-2016, 05:46 AM
I traded emails with Shopbot and was told it is out of their hands and that they are waiting on Vectric to provide the Shopbot version. That conflicts with what I've heard on the Vectric forum. It's so very frustrating to watch the new tutorials with James and not be able to follow along real time in the software...

markevans
07-03-2016, 11:49 AM
If you don't want to pony up for the full version but want to learn the new stuff now, download the trial version. It won't affect your other install.

ted
07-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Hello All,

We've been a little slow on getting this update up and apologize. We will be sending all owners of VCP8 a link to download the new Version in the next day or two. Typically, the within-version update is just a patch and the process simpler. In this case, it will be a full install. Just a heads-up. Do not remove the old version before you install the new VCP8.5 so that it is able to capture your tool database.

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools

steve_g
07-04-2016, 05:45 PM
Ted, thank you … For taking ownership of the problem and the promise of a solution in the near future… I’ve watched the videos and am excited about the updates!
SG

sluggo
07-06-2016, 07:24 PM
Thanks, Ted! I know that everyone is looking forward to what appears to be a great update!

dana_swift
07-07-2016, 08:57 AM
As great a program as VCarve Pro is, consider upgrading to a full Aspire 8.5. Then the shopbot can do even more cool stuff! And no limit on what machine you drive with the program. Lots of posts come with the unlimited versions of either VCP or Aspire. And no waiting :) D

sluggo
07-08-2016, 12:12 AM
Dana - I wasn't aware of that. I take it from your post that the upgrade to Aspire would be directly through Vectric and would not be a ShopBot version like we get for Vcarve Pro?

Charlie

sluggo
07-08-2016, 02:38 PM
The new version is awesome, thanks ShopBot!