PDA

View Full Version : The Customer is Always Right - Grammar on Your Work

80grit
07-14-2016, 05:30 PM
Have you ever had to deal with a customer who demands that text is written a certain way that includes incorrect grammar? This is a pet peeve of mine, and I see it all the time, especially when it comes to plural vs. possessive.

My wife's uncle owns a sign/t-shirt shop, and I have asked him about it. He says he offers up the correct version of grammar, but most people just want it done their way. I would have hard time with that, especially when people will know I made it. I think it will reflect poorly on me.

...and I'm sure I made a grammatical error on this post.

Robert Rickard
07-14-2016, 06:22 PM
Just say you're happy to do it their way as long as you can add [sic] after the incorrect grammar and/or spelling. :cool:

zeykr
07-14-2016, 08:44 PM
I'm with your wife's uncle...

harryball
07-15-2016, 09:39 AM
Meh, they sign off and willing to pay? Id Put Whatevr there harts disired on it. Its theres not mine, whoo am eye to tell them whut there wantin?
Shouldn't reflect on you, anyone buying signs knows A) the owner controls the content not the sign maker and B) the owner isn't going to pay for what they didn't want. I see stuff like this all the time and not once, not ever even once have I thought "stupid incompetent sign maker" but rather "why on earth did they want that sign like that?"

Enjoy and MAKE MONEY.

Brian Harnett
07-15-2016, 10:46 AM
I have steered some customers to a vinyl shop when I thought the design would not work well.

tri4sale
07-18-2016, 02:12 PM
I would educate them in righting that the way they want it is grammatically incorrect, but you'll due it however they choose.

that way when they come back and claim you should have known it was wrong and told them since you are the professional and it's your job to do it write, you've got ur behind covered.

(grammatical mistakes in above are intentional, yup, thats my story and I'm sticking to it)

waynelocke
07-18-2016, 02:18 PM
What mistakes?