PDA

View Full Version : Jet Dust Collector

curtiss
06-22-2009, 10:27 PM
What would cause a dust collector motor to stop working ??

It did NOT stop during operation, it would not start up the next day when I plugged it in.

Does not seem to have any strange odors. Power to the switch seems to be fine.

1 HP DC 650

frank134
06-22-2009, 11:03 PM
How about power coming out of the switch. check it at the motor. If you have it their, then try turning the motor with power off and then turn it on. If it start then you may have what I call a bald spot.

rb99
06-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Some electric motors have brushes that need replacing...

RIB

myxpykalix
06-23-2009, 01:21 AM
I had one of those safety switches where the switch comes out of it to keep others from turning it on and that went bad. If you unscrew the faceplate and pull the switch out you will see push on connectors on the back. You can take a conduit tester and see if by jumpering it the motor starts then you know its a switch.

carlcnc
06-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Curtis
if all the wiring checks out,
most likely the start capacitor,or
if it is a 220v motor of 2hp or more it will have
a centrifugal "switch" on th efan end, this switch is to disconnect the start capacitor as motor gets up to speed.the contacts on this can get worn,"stick" and in turn cause the capacitor to overheat .
does the motor try to start? does it emit any noise when you hit the switch?

Carl

bcammack
06-23-2009, 08:58 AM
If you live near a Harbor Freight Tools store, they continuously have sales on their digital multimeters. They're so cheap, I don't even replace the batteries in them. I'm talking anywhere from $2.00 to $5.00

Definitely worth having one for situations like this at that sort of price.

waynelocke
06-23-2009, 11:31 AM
You didn't say if it made any noise. It could be something has gotten clogged in the fan. Pull the hose and check it. That's an easy first step.

donchapman
06-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Look carefully to see if there is a thermal reset button you've overlooked. I overlooked one on one of my woodworking tool motors a couple of years ago and wasted a lot of time with other things before I found it.

donchapman
06-23-2009, 01:23 PM
The next most common fix for my large motor problems has been to blow out switches, capacitor housings, open motors, etc. with an air hose as sawdust can get in there and act as an insulator between electrical contacts.

curtiss
06-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Took everything apart and cleaned all the contacts and it is up and running again.

I not sure how some people live without a voltage meter, I think I got one when I was about 12...

I don't know much about electricity but I ain't scared of it....

thanx