PDA

View Full Version : Pine Table

Tim Lucas
12-01-2016, 08:17 PM
Thought I would share a custom table the bot created for a customer. We used floor joist removed from an old house the customer was rebuilding. The bot cut all the pieces for the legs and the ends of the table plus surfaced the table.

dlcw
12-01-2016, 09:26 PM
Beautiful table. I love the finish.

Keith Larrett
12-02-2016, 06:13 AM
That looks great Tim!

mikeacg
12-02-2016, 08:15 AM
The wood grain is fantastic! Thanks for sharing...

Mike

scottp55
12-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Purty Tim!! :)
Just inherited the pine trestle us seven kids ate at for decade....hope I can refinish it to look that good!
NICE:)

guitarwes
12-02-2016, 10:08 AM
Great job. Looks really good. I just finished a rough sawn pine barnwood table for my cousin. The pics are on my Facebook page; Wooden Mind Woodworking. I have orders for 3 more already.

Burkhardt
12-02-2016, 10:50 AM
Wow, what a finish! I used to have a Scots Pine surface kitchen table and had to resurface it every 5 years or so because the soft wood got so easily scuffed and dinged in daily use. But I applied only some 2 or 3 coats of simple tabletop varnish which was not much protection. How do you expect that finish to hold up?

Another question I have is about the end beams across the grain of the main surface. I tried something like that and had the main surface split and crack in several places after only a few weeks due to unequal expansion/contraction. Is there a trick to avoid that?

myxpykalix
12-02-2016, 11:34 AM
another piece of beautiful work,,,,,,

chiloquinruss
12-02-2016, 06:48 PM
Looks like the cover of a high end furniture mag! Russ

Tim Lucas
12-02-2016, 07:39 PM
Purty Tim!! :)
Just inherited the pine trestle us seven kids ate at for decade....hope I can refinish it to look that good!
NICE:)

You can get just as good, the finish is a 2 part epoxy finish they use it a lot on cypress tables and clocks, I get it from Toms Cypress, they ship it also

Wow, what a finish! I used to have a Scots Pine surface kitchen table and had to resurface it every 5 years or so because the soft wood got so easily scuffed and dinged in daily use. But I applied only some 2 or 3 coats of simple tabletop varnish which was not much protection. How do you expect that finish to hold up?

Another question I have is about the end beams across the grain of the main surface. I tried something like that and had the main surface split and crack in several places after only a few weeks due to unequal expansion/contraction. Is there a trick to avoid that?

The ends are only fastened in the center, that allows the table to move as the humidity changes and the epoxy can move some with the wood also

Looks like the cover of a high end furniture mag! Russ

The customer took these pictures for me and that is exactly what I thought when I first saw them

Thank you all for kind Atta boys !!!

scottp55
12-02-2016, 10:52 PM
Thanks Tim:)

Brian Harnett
12-04-2016, 06:47 PM
Very nice I forget the beauty of softwoods for furniture.

Xray
12-06-2016, 12:27 AM
I could make a table far better than that - In my dreams, nice work !