PDA

View Full Version : Crooked and wandering v-carve text

williams_architectural
10-30-2007, 12:25 PM
I am cutting 36 exact designs from 1 sheet of MDF and the V-Carve text is different on each one slightly. Some words are crooked and others wander either too high or too low just a bit. Cutting @ 1.5 ips. Please advise

William

srwtlc
10-30-2007, 02:10 PM
How flat is your table and is the thickness of your material consistent over the entire sheet? Is it held down evenly and securely? Slight changes in height can change the appearance of V-carving considerably. Is the angle of your V-bit true (60, 90, etc.)? Check this out, Checking V-bit angles (http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2164)

williams_architectural
10-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Scott,
I read up on the "Checking V-bit angles" you suggested and was actually doing what one other person did. I calculated for a 90 degree and was using a 60 degree. I did this on purpose because I had painted the face of the wood first and the lettering was small so I wanted the wood to show better but didn't think about the effect of the lettering. I'm going to correct this tomorrow and see what happens. I don't know if it will correct the wandering or not. The table was surfaced flat before I put the sheet on. Don't know if the finish sheet it self is reasonably flat though. It's definately secured down well and true.
I appreciate the input and hope it corrects the problem.

William