PDA

View Full Version : Cutting through 3/4 pine

DHP56
01-16-2017, 02:12 PM
I am cutting through 3/4 pine and am not satisfied with the edge finish I am getting. I am using a 2 flute upcut bit running at 13000 rpm and feed rate of 2 inches per second. Any suggestions would be appreicated.

steve_g
01-16-2017, 04:17 PM
What diameter bit are you using? The larger the diameter the easier to get a good cut! Are you using a spiral flute bit? A straight bit tends to “hammer” at the edge. Exactly what are you dissatisfied with? Are you getting chip out? Fuzzies? Photos or more information will help us help you!
SG

DHP56
01-17-2017, 06:55 AM
What diameter bit are you using? The larger the diameter the easier to get a good cut! Are you using a spiral flute bit? A straight bit tends to “hammer” at the edge. Exactly what are you dissatisfied with? Are you getting chip out? Fuzzies? Photos or more information will help us help you!
SG

I am using a 1/4" dia spiral 2 flute and am getting the fuzzy edge you descirbe.

steve_g
01-17-2017, 08:55 AM
Some wood just has more of a tendency to fuzz… is this something new? Has your method given clean cuts in the past?
Here’s what I’d try:

New, sharp bit
Larger diameter bit
Change direction of cut. If you were cutting conventional, try a climb cut, generally a conventional cut is smoother but some days the rules don’t seem to always work!
Try cutting using the onion skin method… I won’t bother you with the details unless you need them, then I’ll write a treatise on it.

I hope these suggestions help! Others may chime in too if I forgot anything. As a last resort, fuzzies sand off well after a coat of shellac to stand them up…
SG