PDA

View Full Version : Backlash

Mike Windsor
01-17-2017, 10:48 AM
Hi . I'm setting up a new to me PRS which is replacing my old unistrut machine that has served me well for 17 years . I must say that I am impressed with the evolution of the shopbot . I am having a bit of trouble though figuring out how to tension the pinions against the gear racks on the X axis . ---How much backlash is acceptable ? --On the old unistrut machine I think the frame flexed enough to allow me to set things up pretty tight

jTr
01-17-2017, 11:36 AM
Mike,
You'll see the racks are adhered with automotive trim 2 sided adhesive tape. I found this a bit strange at first, but the roughly 1/16" thick center is a sponge rubber composition which essentially acts as a very slight cushion, though not certain if that was the idea when selecting this method of attachment. While others may find it a bit over the top, after 5 years use and maintenance, I've developed a habit of using a "Quick Grip" squeeze trigger clamp torqued quite firmly to hold those motors up as I tighten them and their gears snug to the rack.

Hope that helps, and hope others chime in with more technical prowess to confirm or correct my methodology.

Jeff

Kyle Stapleton
01-17-2017, 12:18 PM
I was told just to push up hard.
It has worked well for us.