PDA

View Full Version : can i create a tool path that i can follow manually

Alan m
01-21-2017, 07:51 PM
is there a way i can create a tool path that is the shape im going to cut but have it in a way that i can manually move the cutter along it so that i can make sure it is all inside the sheet or cut where it is supposed to.

its a bit hard to explain what i mean. imagine the tool path a line that i am advancing the cutter along but without inputting x or y just forward and back along the tool path. kind of like a fastforwarding a video of it cutting.

im using v carve pro 6 and sb v 3

thanks alan

Gary Campbell
01-21-2017, 08:19 PM
Alan...
Manual move along a programmed path. Sorry, cant happen.
Use the previewer with appropriate material size in VCPro.
Toolpath and then use the previewer in SB3

steve_g
01-21-2017, 09:24 PM
Alan
I often draw a vector that encompasses all the elements of a project, like a memorial plaque, and air cut on the line .1 inches above the material, to verify that the project fits on my material.
This is especially important when you use substrates that are uneven…
SG

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29613&stc=1

tri4sale
01-21-2017, 09:27 PM
I've got a project I'm working on that has some cuts that are very close to my hold down screws, I'm planning on running the bot w/ a sharpie in it to draw along the path to make sure I'm away from the hold down screws. You could do something similar. There's a thread on the site here somewhere about where to buy the sharpie holder.

Alan m
01-22-2017, 07:13 AM
Alan
I often draw a vector that encompasses all the elements of a project, like a memorial plaque, and air cut on the line .1 inches above the material, to verify that the project fits on my material.
This is especially important when you use substrates that are uneven…
SG

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29613&stc=1

thats half way to what i mean. i want to do similar to what your doing. i just want to make sure the cut is inside the piece. the problem with this is that if the piece is large or aqwardly shaped you have to lean in over the bed with the machine moving so you can see closely.

Alan m
01-22-2017, 07:14 AM
Alan...
Manual move along a programmed path. Sorry, cant happen.
Use the previewer with appropriate material size in VCPro.
Toolpath and then use the previewer in SB3

i was afraid of that. thanks anyway

dmidkiff
01-22-2017, 07:14 AM
tri4sale you could just place your hold down screws in your drawing and run a separate toolpath for them.

Alan m
01-22-2017, 07:16 AM
I've got a project I'm working on that has some cuts that are very close to my hold down screws, I'm planning on running the bot w/ a sharpie in it to draw along the path to make sure I'm away from the hold down screws. You could do something similar. There's a thread on the site here somewhere about where to buy the sharpie holder.

i was thinking about this but you have to change the bit out and rezero the z .

steve_g
01-22-2017, 09:22 AM
“you have to lean in over the bed with the machine moving”

Ok, I think I understand your concerns… try this:

Draw a line that connects a series of points that are placed at the locations of concern…
Toolpath the line with zero depth of cut
Zero the Z axis to be above the material… say .1”
Add a “pause” command after each point in the .sbp file
Save the file, run it.

This will allow you to look at each point with the machine stopped, hit “enter” to continue to the next point. BTW, when “Air Cutting” the router/spindle is not running…

Not knowing your level of comfort with programming in the toolpath, I haven’t included any examples… I will if you’d like me to. It would be this evening though…
SG

Alan m
01-22-2017, 09:44 AM
“you have to lean in over the bed with the machine moving”

Ok, I think I understand your concerns… try this:

Draw a line that connects a series of points that are placed at the locations of concern…
Toolpath the line with zero depth of cut
Zero the Z axis to be above the material… say .1”
Add a “pause” command after each point in the .sbp file
Save the file, run it.

This will allow you to look at each point with the machine stopped, hit “enter” to continue to the next point. BTW, when “Air Cutting” the router/spindle is not running…

Not knowing your level of comfort with programming in the toolpath, I haven’t included any examples… I will if you’d like me to. It would be this evening though…
SG

thanks steve
im new to this. i could do with a few examples

steve_g
01-22-2017, 09:27 PM
First, let me say… With the move speed set slow and the router/spindle off, I’m perfectly comfortable leaning over the machine to closely watch where the bit is. I feel certain that you will too, eventually! That said, this exercise in toolpath editing is not wasted time, you need to get familiar with doing it anyway! Some things I routinely edit the path for are:

Change the end point so that router and bit is clear of the project.
Add a “Goto” statement to rerun the file after a pause to change blanks
Manually change speed settings when you discover some tweaking is in order
Call another file when doing step and repeat.

Any text editor can be used to edit the toolpath file, but a good one is normally installed with SB3. It’s located under [F]ile --> part file [E]dit.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29615&stc=1

Some reading is in order to fully appreciate the power of the OpenSBP Language.
http://shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/files/SBG00314150707ProgHandWin.pdf
and
http://shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/files/SBG00253150707CommandRefV3.pdf

As stated earlier, the purpose of this exercise is to create a toolpath that can test the location of key points of a file to be sure they fall within the perimeter of an irregular shaped substrate… In the past others have “air cut” entire files to determine this same information. By testing just key points, we can shorten the run time needed to determine this information!
Step one:
Determine what the key points are. Draw straight lines between these points. By not using curved lines we simplify determining Which points in our toolpath file are the ones of interest!
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29619&stc=1

Step two:
Create a toolpath of our line that goes through the points of interest. Create it with zero depth of cut. Save the toolpath.
Step 3:
Open the toolpath created above with the text editor.
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29616&stc=1

In my example, it’s easy to find the lines of code that move the machine to the desired test points… they are the only lines that have a Z value of 0.000000, also, they have “M” (move) commands in front of them. The “J” commands are jog moves.
Every toolpath file has a “PAUSE 2” command line in it… it is after the router/spindle “turn on” command and gives the router 2 seconds to come up to speed. This same command, without a parameter (like the 2) can be used to halt the program anywhere and not continue until given the ok by the user. To get the machine to stop at each test point, we manually enter the “PAUSE” command between each program line with the test point locations.
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29617&stc=1

The “continue?” window is the default user interface in this situation.

Save the file with the changes.

Step 4:

Zero XY&Z on your machine.

Now re zero Z a known distance above the material, like .1”… this makes it easy to re-zero back to true zero after running the testpath.

Run the modified file… remember, air cutting is done without the router/spindle on! The bot will move to the first test point and stop… it will wait until you tell it to continue, to go to the next point. Continue through all test points until the file is complete.

Don’t forget to return to material zero before you run the part…

SG

myxpykalix
01-23-2017, 07:24 AM
If you are talking about 2d cuts along a vector, it might be a pain in the butt, but i think you could select vectors and make toolpaths for parts of your cutting. It would entail cutting some vectors and closing them though.

jerry_stanek
01-23-2017, 10:23 AM
What I do is put the piece down then cover it with some news print and plot the tool path with a plotter pen. I do this when I have a preprinted sheet

tri4sale
01-23-2017, 01:10 PM
tri4sale you could just place your hold down screws in your drawing and run a separate toolpath for them.

I do that too, but on this project just want to be extra safe, using a 1/2 inch bit so wide cuts and expensive material ($200 a sheet) so want to be extra sure.

Alan m
01-23-2017, 02:03 PM
thanks steve. i will try it next time

khaos
02-02-2017, 05:55 PM
Or, tape a laser pointer to a bit and run the profile air cut above the work. :)