PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Covers

myxpykalix
01-30-2017, 07:58 AM
I have been asked about possibly making some radiator covers for some homes that have the old ugly steam radiators. I saw them make some on "This Old House" years ago out of MDF and wondered if anyone here has made any of them and whether there was any issues with using MDF, or maybe a better material? Did that hinder the efficiency of the radiating heat? Were the issues that you needed to consider in designing the covers? Would there be any advantage in designing it to include a small fan that would help distribute the warm air?

chiloquinruss
01-30-2017, 04:18 PM
https://www.thisoldhouse.com/how-to/how-to-build-radiator-cover-cabinet

bleeth
02-01-2017, 02:56 AM
Made a lot of these when living back in Seattle. I think MDF is an ignorant choice of material. Only used quality ply and hardwood.
Never used a fan. Made sure venting was near the top of the sides so hot air didn't get trapped and usually they doubled up as seats or display/plant stands.
(No-I don't have plans and didn't have a CNC then)

phil_o
02-01-2017, 08:37 AM
Have you Googled for radiator covers. You will find many interesting designs. https://www.google.com/search?q=radiator+covers&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_rbqNgu_RAhVETCYKHY2ZAm4Q_AUICSgC&biw=1536&bih=755

Phil

myxpykalix
02-01-2017, 09:38 AM
Have you Googled for radiator covers. You will find many interesting designs. https://www.google.com/search?q=radiator+covers&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_rbqNgu_RAhVETCYKHY2ZAm4Q_AUICSgC&biw=1536&bih=755

Phil

Yes, Google is my friend....i know..thanks

myxpykalix
02-01-2017, 09:44 AM
Made a lot of these when living back in Seattle. I think MDF is an ignorant choice of material. Only used quality ply and hardwood.
Never used a fan. Made sure venting was near the top of the sides so hot air didn't get trapped and usually they doubled up as seats or display/plant stands.
(No-I don't have plans and didn't have a CNC then)

Dave....thanks I had seen them build one of these on "This Old House" and they made it out of MDF. I assume you used some cabinet grade plywood in yours? Was there any issues with the heat and deteriorating the plys/glues? thanks again...

bleeth
02-01-2017, 06:53 PM
Yep-Good quality domestic maple ply. Never had a complaint.
At that time I was running a shop in Seattle that was doing fireplace mantles and custom screen doors for a living and the radiator covers were an on request custom item.
IMHO TOH has gone downhill.

myxpykalix
02-02-2017, 06:43 AM
Yep-Good quality domestic maple ply. Never had a complaint.
At that time I was running a shop in Seattle that was doing fireplace mantles and custom screen doors for a living and the radiator covers were an on request custom item.
IMHO TOH has gone downhill.

I agree on TOH. You could watch to learn how to do some type of renovation construction, they don't show much anymore. Probably because all the guys are getting old like us and can't do what they did 25 years ago when they started it. I also miss New Yankee Workshop, i enjoyed that.