PDA

View Full Version : super zero plate question

seclay
02-01-2017, 05:55 PM
The answer to my question may already be posted here somewhere so I apologize if that's the case, but so far i didn't have any luck in my search.

Anyway what I'm trying to sort out is the following:

When using the XYZ_CRNR.SBP routine, upon the completion, the x and y coordinates are given as y=1.15 and x=1.125. I am using a 1/4 inch steel pin. If I then go to the xy=0 location, y (as near as I can measure it) is .125 too far in the minus y direction. That is to say if the y coordinate had been 1.125 like the x coordinate then the y zero location would have been correct.

I wonder why the routine finishes at those coordinates in the first place most importantly why the y coordinate is always off with respect to zero.

It is possible that the previous owner of my machine modified the routine but in any case, what should the coordinates be at the completion of the routine and if mine are incorrect, how do I go about correcting them?

jerry_stanek
02-02-2017, 06:45 AM
Remember that one half of .25 is .125 and that is the center of the bit

seclay
02-03-2017, 02:36 AM
Remember that one half of .25 is .125 and that is the center of the bit

Hello Jerry,

I understand that but a zero coordinate is supposed to coincide with the center of the bit, right? I stated it incorrectly above. The spindle ends up .025 too far in the minus y direction. Consequently I have to move it to y=.025 and zero the y axis there. Y zero is simply not where it's supposed to be, unless I'm missing something. I can't imagine why the x and y coordinates should be different anyway, at the completion of the routine, since the circumference of the circle in the plate is the same distance from either edge. Do you have a super zero plate and if so does the program yield the same results for you?

Thanks for your reply, by the way.:)

jerry_stanek
02-03-2017, 07:16 AM
I have a home made xyz plate that works ok but very seldom do I use it. I like to zero the the table and then if I have to move to a different spot I write the x and y offsets down

srwtlc
02-03-2017, 10:30 AM
Do you have the ShopBot XYZ plate that they sell or one of the others out there? Open the file used to run it in SBedit and walk through it to see where the issue might be and correct it.

seclay
02-03-2017, 04:59 PM
Do you have the ShopBot XYZ plate that they sell or one of the others out there? Open the file used to run it in SBedit and walk through it to see where the issue might be and correct it.

I wasn't aware that Shopbot offered an XYZ plate. I have their Z plate. The issue I am having involves the SuperZero plate. I did look at the file or rather a better programmer than I looked it over and didn't see any issues. Then again nor did he see where the spindle should return to the 1.125 and 1.150 xy coordinates. I'd love to send you the file if you wouldn't mind taking a look at it. I understand completely if you'd prefer not to be bothered!

Unfortunately I lack the skill to identify and correct any errors in the file itself but that almost certainly has to be where the problem resides. The only coordinates I see referenced in the file are xyz 1.5. So, I haven't a clue why the only 1.5 coordinate that ends up applying happens to be with respect to the z axis.

jerry_stanek
02-04-2017, 05:45 AM
just a quick question what is your offset in the Shopbot set up

seclay
02-06-2017, 02:49 AM
just a quick question what is your offset in the Shopbot set up

Hi Jerry,

I didn't see an offset setting in the Shopbot set up. It's set to default settings if that's any help.

seclay
02-06-2017, 03:52 AM
Thanks for responding Jerry. srwtlc figured it out for me. Should anyone else have similar problem, the solution is to change the values in these lines in the XYZ_INT.SPB file.

&XYZ_H = &XYZ_U * 1.125 ' distance to hi-x edge
&XYZ_L = &XYZ_U * 1.125 ' distance to lo-x edge
&XYZ_N = &XYZ_U * 1.125 ' distance to lo-y edge

The lo-y edge distance in my file was 1.150. I changed it to 1.125 which is the correct distance from the center of the circle in the plate to the edge of the plate and that did it.