PDA

View Full Version : JUST in time for a friends Valentines Day:)

scottp55
02-14-2017, 02:41 PM
My friends girlfriend's(now fiancee) Grandfather was a Sawyer for most of his adult life, and when she was 16 he gave her a chainsawed "Round".
At 16 years old...she stuck it in her closet:)
He died last year, and she was dismayed that she didn't have much to remind her of him, except some phrases she remembered he always told her, the fact that he wanted to come back as a Cardinal(his favorite bird), and this chunk of wood. "Love Grampa" was from the very last letter he ever sent her.
Now that's she's of an age to appreciate what he did,
She didn't know what to do, but my friend said"Maybe Scott can help" :)
She was amazed what skimming the saw marks off and sanding to 600G and a coat of my Linseed "butter" did, and off we went into the design/font/etc. :)
JUST finished the last coat on side 2.
Hope she likes it for Valentines Day from my friend.
I HATE working with a new wood(especially softwood) and not having a scrap piece for testing, and NO "do overs" allowed.
13X17.5X1.2" Vladimir Script Onsrud 30 degree engraving with .01"flat on font side, Onsrud 60 with .005"flat on the reverse side.
scott

chiloquinruss
02-15-2017, 12:18 AM
Very nice! It certainly shows you care. Russ

Tim Lucas
02-15-2017, 07:00 AM
Very nice work Scott !!

Tim

dmidkiff
02-15-2017, 07:32 AM
Really good job Scott.

scottp55
02-15-2017, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys:)
I'm still babysitting it, as Rusty never showed up here....never showed for Valentine's dinner...never went home at all!
He contracted snow removal for several businesses in Portland, and the city was scrambling to remove it before today's storm...The lines of trucks was enough to get on the news.
He lost some serious "Attaboy" points:)
Valentine's supper and presents aren't as good served the next day:)
Hopefully when she holds it in her hands it will improve her mood from last night.
Maybe he won't have to sleep in the doghouse.
Still hand rubbing it:)
scott

bob_s
02-15-2017, 10:35 AM
Scott
very nice work
I'm pretty sure you just saved him a month in the dog house!

scottp55
02-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Thanks Bob!
Well he did make it home at midnight and got 4 hours sleep, BUT before he konked out he showed those 4 pictures to her I emailed him,
she was in a good mood this morning but kept bugging him as to exactly WHEN he was dropping by here to get it:)
JUST talked to him, and he's within an hour of putting the front end loader on the dump truck trailer, and only 1 more stop before here about dark.
I think he'll be ok once she's holding it:)

carolinasmith
02-15-2017, 09:59 PM
You have made her grandfather very tangible to her in a way most meaningful to her. High fives!!

scottp55
02-16-2017, 05:13 AM
Thanks Carolina:)
Rusty looked like a drowned frozen rat when he showed last night, as it had been raining for 3 hours on top of snow, and the world had changed to Slush!
At the last minute I took a high handled wicker basket my Grandmom used for cutting fresh flowers, lined it with Kennebunk Weavers throws, and found a small piece of fleece to rest it on.
The presentation of what looks like a baby in a basket, presented by a guy who's boots are full of water and clothes are dripping wet, should have been interesting:)
Too late I remember she has a younger sister...I wonder if she has a piece of wood in HER "Closet of Forgotten Things":eek:
Oh well....at least now I know how to prep large Softwood end grain, and know it cuts well:)
scott