PDA

View Full Version : Help with stop button

jerbear
12-29-2004, 07:38 PM
Hi I am brand new to the forum, so please take it easy on me. My boss has a prt96? in our wood shop. He asked me to rebuild a PC for the control box to run off of so we could run the SB in Windows. I installed all the necessary software and everything seems to be working good as long as the big red stop button is pressed. When I release it nothing works and a light switch flickers on the computer screen. What did I miss. Thanks.

Brady Watson
12-29-2004, 08:41 PM
Jerry,
When you set up your PRT96 for the 1st time, there was an option for NEW or OLD stop switch. You want the OLD one. This eliminates the need to rewire the switch.

I do not recall how to set it up after you have done the installation. The easiest way would be to uninstall the Win software in it's entirety (delete everything but parts folder) and reinstall using the OLD stop swich configuration.

-Brady

bill.young
12-29-2004, 09:09 PM
Hey Jerry,

You can change that setting from within the ShopBot software by typing VN and then changing the value for "Stop Switch (#4) Mode" from "normally closed" to "normally open".

You can also redo the switch so that it's "normally closed" by switching the wire connections. In general it's safer to have the switch be "normally closed". If there's a break in one of the wires or a bad connection, the tool won't move at all if it's wired that way so you'll know that there's a problem. If it's setup "normally open" and there's a bad wire or connection, you won't know about it until you hit the stop switch and nothing happens!

Tech support can tell you how to make the change for your particular switch.

Bill

richards
12-29-2004, 09:11 PM
Jerry,

On my Alpha, the V-menu has an iNput Switch Modes selection that allows you to toggle the stop switch to either Normally Open or Normally Closed.

If your PRT96 has the same option, select the setting that your are not currently using.

-Mike

richards
12-29-2004, 09:14 PM
It looks like Bill wrote his post while I was writing mine. In any case, he beat my post by two minutes - and - his post is better.

-Mike

jerbear
01-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Thank you for all the advice. I will try it on Wednesday 01/05/05
Thanks
Jerry