PDA

View Full Version : Attention Computer Geeks! Need advice.

Mark Farris
03-13-2017, 08:33 PM
Hey all,
I am having a small problem when running long files. It seems to happen more when running long 3D or 2.5 D files. Somewhere around 60,000 to 80,000 lines I get a new warning "Unexpected Return Fault" and the program stops. I have noticed that the program stops with a blank line in the code a couple times before this happens, like the computer is catching up. The other night, about the same range of code, the machine stopped, the spindle shut off, but the code kept running on the control computer. It has become very frustrating since I am leaving my job of 24 years April 28th to go full time. I need the bot to run as close to perfect as possible. I believe I have the machine grounded properly. I have a #6 ground wire running from the service ground to each axis of the bot and I have another to the Oneida Dust Gorilla and continuous either, by the metal duct connections, or a bare wire through the inside of the flex duct to my Kent Dust shoe. I wonder if my control computer cannot keep up with the files. I admit the inner workings of the computer are my weak point. Here are my specifics;

2010 PRS Alpha 9648 w/ 2.2 HSD spindle
Control computer is a HP Pavillion S 3707c with a AMD Anthon X2 5400 dual core processor. 2.8 GHZ 64 Bit

Mark Farris
03-13-2017, 09:01 PM
Sorry, I hit a wrong button and didn't finish. I have 4gb of memory and I am running 3.8.42 for control software. I am wondering if I need a faster computer with more memory. Any help would be appreciated.
I would be willing to pay one of you to build me a new control computer if necessary. It doesn't look like fabmo will be out any time soon and I really don't have time for these problems. Any advice would be appreciated..

Thanks,
Mark

srwtlc
03-13-2017, 09:50 PM
Read the diagnostic notes information in C:\Program Files (x86)\ShopBot\ShopBot 3\Help\UD Diagnostic Notes.pdf, do the move test and look at the info afterwards with UD. This will give you an idea of how well USB communications are working.

Windows 7, 8, and 10, check to see if USB selective suspend is enabled. If so, disable it. Check for any programs or services that could be firing up and interrupting. Any software phoning home.

Mark Farris
03-13-2017, 10:26 PM
Thanks, I will try that tomorrow. I will mention that I Black Vipered this computer and it is not connected to the internet at any time. The only things on it are SB 3, SB editor, and a PDF reader. It is running Windows 7 Home.
Thanks, Mark

myxpykalix
03-14-2017, 04:28 AM
I have a 2006 laptop running windows XP running my PRT Alpha and i've had no computer problem. You might check to see what other programs are running in the background, that may be an issue. From the day i bought the laptop it has never been online or has any other programs running in the background.

Tom Bachman
03-14-2017, 09:20 AM
I'm by no means an expert on SB, but, my thoughts are like Scotts'. I'll bet something is either 1. shutting down or 2. starting up causing the interruption.

When I first got the one at school, I had that issue a couple times. Turned out the computer was going to sleep. I never thought this would happen as it was transferring data. But I found if I would touch the mouse occasionally, and move it, even a little, that it would stay on track and continue to run. So I just went into the settings and told it to never go to sleep, and never turn the hard drive off....no more problems.

Mark Farris
03-14-2017, 11:29 AM
Thanks to all of you replying. As I mentioned above I have Black Vipered and stripped everything out of the computer except SB 3, SB Editor, and a PDF reader. Never been connected to the internet, and as far as my knowledge goes nothing running in the background or trying to update. If there are suggestions for something I have missed I would appreciate any info.

Thanks,
Mark

jerry_stanek
03-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Go into your power settings and see if there is any thing that would cause it like sleep screen saver or hard drive

srwtlc
03-14-2017, 12:16 PM
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29856&stc=1

tri4sale
03-14-2017, 06:51 PM
Hey all,
I am having a small problem when running long files. It seems to happen more when running long 3D or 2.5 D files. Somewhere around 60,000 to 80,000 lines I get a new warning "Unexpected Return Fault" and the program stops. I have noticed that the program stops with a blank line in the code a couple times before this happens, like the computer is catching up. The other night, about the same range of code, the machine stopped, the spindle shut off, but the code kept running on the control computer. It has become very frustrating since I am leaving my job of 24 years April 28th to go full time. I need the bot to run as close to perfect as possible. I believe I have the machine grounded properly. I have a #6 ground wire running from the service ground to each axis of the bot and I have another to the Oneida Dust Gorilla and continuous either, by the metal duct connections, or a bare wire through the inside of the flex duct to my Kent Dust shoe. I wonder if my control computer cannot keep up with the files. I admit the inner workings of the computer are my weak point. Here are my specifics;

2010 PRS Alpha 9648 w/ 2.2 HSD spindle
Control computer is a HP Pavillion S 3707c with a AMD Anthon X2 5400 dual core processor. 2.8 GHZ 64 Bit

I've read somewhere that too much grounding can be an issue, as it causes a grounding loop which defeats the purpose... Well beyond my pay grade :) but I have one wire running to the router and thru the dust collection and grounding to my dust collector. Once I did that all my communication errors went away. (knock on wood)

As for your computer, it should be up to snuff, but time to start eliminating possibilities by trial and error.

1. Swap out the computer for another and do a run of a file that crashes on you. If it crashes at the 60,000 to 80,000 line mark again, then you know it's not the computer. If you can run this multiple times without issue then something with computer causing an issue.

2. If swapping computer doesn't resolve issues, replace all cables between computer and shopbot, cables can go bad and cause intermittent issues.

3. If 1 and 2 doesn't fix problem, redo the grounding wires, make sure all are secure and not loose, and see if any changes.

4. Sacrifice two chickens and a goat and try again.

curtiss
03-15-2017, 11:05 PM
This might be an endless question ... but

1) What operating system are most using to operate their ShopBots?

2) Are all releases of ShopBot software now designed to work on Windows 7 or above ?

3) Who uses what type of design software ?

Seems like a "simple user survey" of the Forum would be interesting,

Tim Lucas
03-16-2017, 08:05 AM
Hi Mark

Did you find the problem? are you up and running now?

Tim

Tom Bachman
03-16-2017, 08:28 AM
This might be an endless question ... but

1) What operating system are most using to operate their ShopBots? Board version 2.04 Runs with Win 7

2) Are all releases of ShopBot software now designed to work on Windows 7 or above ? IDK

3) Who uses what type of design software ? Aspire

Seems like a "simple user survey" of the Forum would be interesting,

I've been told that may board should not be allowing me to use USB and Win 7, but it does. IDK how or why it was setup like this when I purchased the machine.

guitarwes
03-16-2017, 09:44 AM
"4. Sacrifice two chickens and a goat and try again."

I always do this first........seems to work everytime.

Just out of curiosity, what business field are you leaving and what do you plan on doing full time with the Bot?

Mark Farris
03-16-2017, 02:53 PM
Tim, I was never really down but the stress of restarting a file in the middle of a carving or sculptured panel is not my favorite thing. Even after re-zeroing and using "goto" there is always a change of an error. Also, on the last stoppage when the bot stopped and the spindle shut off, the code kept running until I could get it shut down. I really had no idea what line it stopped on so I had to do a calculated guess. All worked out OK this time. I just don't have time for these kinds of problems to occur on a regular basis.

guitarwes, I have been the project manager / VP for a medium sized custom homebuilder for the last 23 1/2 years. I have had my LLC open since 2012 doing a mix of commercial products both in plastics and wood. I make medical products, stencils, MDF cabinet doors and wainscoting, and various marine products to name a few. My goal is to be a manufacturer/ fabricator of various products and stay as far away from the end-users (homeowners) that have been a pain in my rear-side most of my life. I have also been a cabinetmaker since I was 12, but that doesn't pay that well in the local market.

guitarwes
03-17-2017, 09:18 AM
Cool. Good luck. I've been in the healthcare field the past 15 years and am transitioning into full time industrial plastic parts production here shortly as soon as my shop expansion is finished. I also do wood stuff to keep me busy in between jobs.

Seems like Gainesville would be a good market.......but I don't live or work there. Probably a cabinet shop on every corner?
Have you looked in to fabbing signage for sign shops?