PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new Motor/Spindle. Thoughts?

TedBriggs
03-21-2017, 08:43 PM
Hi ShopBot Forum,

I volunteer with a non-profit community space (http://boulderhackerspace.com/) in Boulder, CO. We have a ShopBot, and the spindle blew. The model number is AT/MT107-140.

Our organization has experienced a perfect storm of tough circumstances and unexpected expenses. The ShopBot is important to the continued functioning of our organization. We are looking for a replacement motor at a good value.

Does anyone know where we can either:
1) offer a 501(c)(3) donation receipt in exchange for a replacement spindle
2) exchange some services or expertise in exchange for a replacement
3) find someone who is willing to sell us the part at an excellent value?

Thank you so much for your help!

-Ted Briggs

Joe Porter
03-21-2017, 09:34 PM
You can replace the spindle with a Porter Cable router motor, I think it is a 7518 motor only with a mount for a few hundred dollars. It needs no VFD and runs on 110V and should last a long while. You can pick this up locally. Hope this helps.....joe

ron_moorehead
03-22-2017, 04:03 PM
How about start a go fund me campaign, I would donate a few dollars to help out.

TedBriggs
03-22-2017, 04:38 PM
This is a good suggestion, Joe. We might even have an extra one of those lying around. I posted it on our group's message board. I have a feeling we would prefer a new motor, but beggars can't be choosers.

TedBriggs
03-22-2017, 04:39 PM
How about start a go fund me campaign, I would donate a few dollars to help out.

Not a bad suggestion. I think the fees are a concern, but I put this forward to our membership group. Thanks!

gundog
03-22-2017, 10:49 PM
I have heard good and bad about the Chinese water cooled spindles on ebay you might want to research that as a cheaper option I am not saying good or bad just look into it.