PDA

View Full Version : Relay Board Issue

nat_wheatley
04-25-2017, 05:35 PM
I'm trying to hookup a relay board (24V, 5 relays) to my 60x96 PRS Alpha and having the following issue. Whenever I connect a wire to one of the output terminals on the motherboard, it appears to turn the corresponding relay on (green light turns off) This happens regardless of whether the output is turned on in the control software. It actually happens even if the control software isn't running. The only way to get the green light to go off is to unwire it from the output.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Relay board is wired to ground and 24V.

Brady Watson
04-26-2017, 11:33 AM
Did you read the tech document (http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/files/Relay%20board%20install%202011%2006%2021.pdf) for the relay board?

nat_wheatley
04-26-2017, 11:55 AM
Hi Brady,

I did read it, I'm wiring things a little differently, as I use 2 relay boards in my control box.

Using a different relay board, which I'm replacing with this one, I had my dust collecter turn on whenever the spindle turned on. I had thought it was Output 1 that did this, but its seeming as though that output is on all the time (hence the relay being triggered all the time). At the moment I've got the relay board working, with my dust collector tied into Output 3, but I need to remember how I had things connected to turn on the relay just when the spindle is on...

ADAPT_Shop-Brady
04-26-2017, 12:13 PM
Nat,
Sounds like you know what you're after, but another option would be to add a couple lines to your post processor (SO "Output #",1) and then you could wire it up to another available output.

nat_wheatley
04-26-2017, 12:17 PM
I must have done that originally to get it working with the old relay board. I'll take a look and see how if I can decipher my post processor.

Thanks for the nudge...

tlempicke
05-01-2017, 07:17 AM
Here is a link to the the document on the shopbot site.

http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/files/Relay%20board%20install%202011%2006%2021.pdf

nat_wheatley
05-01-2017, 07:44 AM
Hi,

It's appears to be a pairing of output 1 and the new relay board that's causing the issue. I was using this output with the old/different board and it worked. Toggling output 1 in the control software, I get values of -2.4 and 2.4, neither of which seem to turn the relay off. I'm tied into output 3 now (same as my holddown vacuum), which is working, but my dust collector is on all the time vs, just when the spindle is on...