PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Plenum

Austin Shafer
05-16-2017, 10:47 AM
Hello all,

We are about to start working on a new plenum and spoil board for our 5'x12' alpha and to better suit our needs since we got the machine used. I wanted to ask what you all think about this setup? We use only 4'x8' sheets of HDPE on this machine so the other two zones would pretty much never be used.

gundog
05-16-2017, 11:48 AM
When I planned my last table I made zones that fit parts I regularly make. My overall vacuum section of my 75" x 125" table is 54" x 96" that is the largest sheet of plastic I buy. I made it so I have 4 zones that cover a 4' x 8' area for cutting smaller sheets. The area not used for vacuum has a clamping area on 2 sides of the vacuum zone in a backwards "L" shape. I use the clamping area for various jigs again all designed around my needs for products I make. Bottom line make it work for what you do.

Austin Shafer
05-16-2017, 12:14 PM
When I planned my last table I made zones that fit parts I regularly make. My overall vacuum section of my 75" x 125" table is 54" x 96" that is the largest sheet of plastic I buy. I made it so I have 4 zones that cover a 4' x 8' area for cutting smaller sheets. The area not used for vacuum has a clamping area on 2 sides of the vacuum zone in a backwards "L" shape. I use the clamping area for various jigs again all designed around my needs for products I make. Bottom line make it work for what you do.

Makes sense. Our problem is that we cut a ton of different shapes and sizes. We have a 4'x8' shopbot buddy as well that we will just use for small scrap stuff and just keep screwing down the material on to that one.

Alex Naumenko
05-16-2017, 03:57 PM
I got 50"x100" table with 4 24x49 zones it will hold anything from 12"x12" to a full sheets without loosing parts as long as I keep open area covered with ACM to prevent air loss.
I keep a 4x4 piece of 3/4 plywood as a sacrificial table if I want to screw or hot glue anything down.

Tim Lucas
05-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Have you thought about the ware on the rails from only using one side / end of your machine?

Tim