PDA

View Full Version : Hal Taylor Rocker Project

Joe Porter
05-24-2017, 03:17 PM
I just finished and am letting the finish cure some more before using. This is one of those pretty good from afar but far from good projects. I used Aspire to model the various parts and cut them on my Buddy BT32. This is a good project all on it's own, but an excellent project if you want to combine CNC and a lot of hand work. I have tried the chair out, and it will hold me, but I think I am going to hand it over to my granddaughter for regular use and give it a better lease on life.
The chair is made out of cherry and is finished in Tried and True Varnish Oil. I will see if I can upload some pictures, thanks for looking...302193022030221joe

James M
05-24-2017, 05:45 PM
Bravo! Very well done! You did a wonderful job. Did you order the drawings for the components or did you just model it from his book?

I have many other questions but that will suffice for now.

The chair looks gorgeous!

J

Joe Porter
05-24-2017, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the kind reply.. Look on Hal's website http://www.rockingchairuniversity.com/ and you will see his plans, etc. I ordered the full set of plans and the DVD and Hal was kind enough to send along a copy of his book. He caters to the student, so I really only had to study and then follow instructions...easier said than done....joe

James M
05-24-2017, 07:45 PM
LOL on easier said than done!

What were your biggest challenges in building this chair? Was it difficult converting his plans for use in Aspire/VCarve? Did your plans generate 2D or 3D drawings and respective toolpaths?

LOL I did warn you I had lots of questions.

J

Keith Larrett
05-24-2017, 08:19 PM
Very impressive! Well done!

scottp55
05-24-2017, 09:05 PM
Excellent Joe! :)
It looks pretty sweet to me.
What was the contrasting wood in the rocker lam?
I'm sure that will give many sweet hours in the years to come, and probably rock many a baby to sleep:)
scott

dmidkiff
05-25-2017, 07:50 AM
Looks good to me. Looks like it will hold anyone just fine. Is it a comfortable as it looks?

myxpykalix
05-25-2017, 08:11 AM
That is absolutely beautiful. You should be very proud....

knight_toolworks
05-25-2017, 11:14 AM
very nice. I wanted to make my daughter a glider rocker but realized even if i could get the plans I doubt I have the skills now.

Joe Porter
05-25-2017, 12:17 PM
Thanks to all for all the kind words..
The plans come full size on rolls of white paper. These are meant to be pasted directly to the wood and cut to the line. Instead I took them to either UPS or Staples and had them scanned and saved to a flash drive. From there I imported into Aspire and traced manually to create my parts. The good thing about this is now you can use the CAD portion of Aspire to draw the angles shown in the paper patterns accurately and, I think, makes your parts fit together easier.
Thanks, Scott, the back braces are laminated cherry and ash and the rockers are laminated cherry and maple.
Again, thanks to all...joe

Brian Harnett
05-25-2017, 12:45 PM
Great job, nice to incorporate woodworking skills along with the cnc.

scottp55
05-25-2017, 10:46 PM
Shows how observant I am:)
Didn't even notice the back braces...except for the pleasing shape and lower back support it gives:)
Subtle...(and elegant)...Love the flow of everything!
scott