PDA

View Full Version : Extruder Gremlins Help

wegner81
08-17-2017, 08:47 AM
I go on stretches of using my machine for Extruding.
I ran a straight profile yesterday with no issues.
Today is a different story.
I am getting Wrong post this file contains CG commands and will not work with flipper
No settings were changed !!
Running 8.5
I always save Shopbot TC (inch) the other choice is (mm)
Do I need to hang some Garlic next to my machine to keep the Gremlins away !!!!!!!

jTr
08-17-2017, 10:00 AM
Same file, or new profile? If same, try re-booting (though I imagine you likely have...)

Sounds like I use it as frequently as you do, and can sympathize. Last snag I ran into seemed to be related to the profile's position as laid out in V-Carve Pro. It related to how far the profile reached into the negative area beyond X's zero location in drawing.
Try shuffling slightly in the more positive direction. (in other words, no garlic, just be positive!)
Also, be certain profile is within range of stock thickness.
I think these are rudiments you've likely tried, but seems this gadget is just fussier than most, and you need to keep at it sometimes.
Good luck!

Jeff

srwtlc
08-17-2017, 11:11 AM
Do you have some arcs in this file that you are trying to run through 'Flipper' now? Not beziers, but arcs. Check with node edit to see. ShopBot TC inch does post GC arcs if there are some in the design. If you use VCP/Aspire, try using just the plain ShopBot inch or convert any arcs in your file to beziers by node editing. Another option would be to use the curve fit tool and choose beziers with a high enough tolerance to keep the shape.

wegner81
08-17-2017, 04:36 PM
Thanks foe the help guys
My procedure is I scan a profile import to Partworks then trace with a polyline
Then node edit select sharp nodes and smooth, maybe that's where I'm having my problems
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30561&stc=1

wegner81
08-17-2017, 04:59 PM
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30562&stc=1
ran this one Tuesday and had no issues
Just tried that other again without smoothing and more in the positive space
Same result Wrong post

srwtlc
08-17-2017, 05:25 PM
Your post is creating CG arcs in the X and Y axis from the drawing, which is normal if the shape contains arcs. If you try to put that file with CG arcs through Flipper, you will get the error because arcs are not allowed it the Z axis. From what I can see, your second shape consists of beziers and I'm guessing that the one that doesn't work has arcs instead. It needs to be converted to have beziers so that the post processor doesn't spit out CG's. I'm assuming that you're using the ShopBot edition of VCP and you don't have the plain non arc post.

If you look in C:\SbParts\VCarvePro_forShopBotPosts\PartWorksPost s_ARCHIVAL you might be able to add the 'ShopBot_Inch.pp' to your posts folder. Just be sure to use the right one for normal work.

Attach your files if you want me/someone to take a look at them.

Oops, meant to reference Extruder, not Flipper. My bad.

srwtlc
08-17-2017, 06:25 PM
Had a look at this as much as I can, and it really looks like you're using the wrong post p for extruding. I can't run Extruder to the final point due to a error with subscript out of range. For some reason, you may have started using a different post.

wegner81
08-17-2017, 06:30 PM
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30564&stc=1
This is the one I'm having issues with I had smoothed out to start with in node editing and then tried it with sharp nodes as drawn with the polyline tool
I guess I don't understand how I am creating CG arcs and how there actually created

srwtlc
08-17-2017, 07:13 PM
There is an arc command in that file on line #45. It's the sharp point on the right side of your picture. If the drawing doesn't have an arc at that spot, then the profile toolpath is generating one there to round around the corner. If your version has the profile toolpath corners option to make sharp external corners, check it and recalculate to try it again. You could also try commenting out line #45 with a (') and the shape will change very little. As shown in this picture, the arc is the rounded corner and the straight line is the same file with that line commented out.

wegner81
08-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Scott
Thanks for your help
I really appreciate it. The good news is I don't have to buy Garlic. As you solved my issue. So the only way to tell if there is a arc in my drawing is to look in the line code?
If I can ever return the favor please let me know. I have been a custom woodworker for 35 years as you can tell by my Knowledge of the computer end !!!
Thanks for sharing your skills with the rest of us

srwtlc
08-18-2017, 11:57 AM
You're welcome Kevin. You should be able to determine whether or not you have arcs right in your drawing, but it would help to know what software you are using. Part Wizard or Part Works (both obsolete now), VCP ShopBot edition, or VCP/Aspire. That one setting for sharp external corners, it not set, could be a culprit each time even if you don't have arcs in the design.

wegner81
08-20-2017, 11:27 AM
I thought I had this file ready to run as the extruder finally generated a file, I had some time today to run the machine, I went through my normal procedure in preview mode pulled up the file now I get a runtime error '6': overflow !!!!!

wegner81
08-20-2017, 11:53 AM
Scott I'm running VCP Shopbot edition 8.5.
I just restored that computer to a restoration point as suggested on a post no such luck same error

srwtlc
08-20-2017, 12:04 PM
Post that file and I'll take a look at it. You get that error when trying to run/cut or only when trying to preview? Or when trying to convert it in extruder?

Some of those runtime errors can be from needed updates to .net framework for the viewer I believe.

wegner81
08-20-2017, 12:33 PM
Went out and ran a few old files in preview mode and seemed to be fine so I ran one that just kicked that error 6 and it was fine so I thought what the heck Ill try the one that you helped me fix and it ran just fine in preview mode so Gremlins 5 me 1
I noticed that I need to update control software so I think at the same time I will update my computer as well

Gary Campbell
08-20-2017, 01:03 PM
Are you using the legacy "no arcs" postP?

Gary Campbell
08-20-2017, 09:57 PM
I might suggest, as an easier to use alternative, is the Molding Toolpath. It IS an extruder, with little or no restriction.

srwtlc
08-20-2017, 11:31 PM
Yes, if you are using 8.5, stop using the extruder program and use the molding toolpath as Gary has mentioned! I was thinking that you were using a much older version, thus the need for the extruder.