PDA

View Full Version : RBK Upgrade

Tim Lucas
08-27-2017, 04:31 PM
Hi all,

I am upgrading my PRT with a RBK control box that was on a rack and pinion machine. Also upgrading the Z. I need a little help with the controller upgrade, all installed and wired ok but the steppers are real noisy when they move. Here is a link to the short video of how noisy they are.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aji3uAeli35Nj5FW8qwDkqcm6yHyQQ

I am not sure if the driver settings were changed or if I am running the wrong software or what. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

srwtlc
08-28-2017, 01:44 PM
Have you done a reset to use the parameters appropriate for a RBK system according to the size of your machine? It would be one from the 'PRT_standard Tools _v4G_or_RBK_upgrades' folder.

jerry_stanek
08-28-2017, 04:18 PM
did you do a firmware update

Tim Lucas
08-28-2017, 08:07 PM
Thank you for the help!!

And Shopbot tech support is Awesome!!

I called support, left a message and about 30 min later they returned my call. They stayed on the phone with me for about 30 min or so and helped me with my limit switch ( I had wired the X to the Y and vise verse ) :confused: Then the helped me find a inop switch for the router relay, helped me chose the correct version software and answered a few more questions. Again Awesome support!!

So being used to the standard 4G small box, the stepper motors sound different to me but the RBK is supplying a lot more power and I guess that is it. I thought the stepper drivers were possibly set wrong for my steppers as I had read the "Run" should be set at 6 for my stepper motors instead of 9 but am told I am using the currant steppers for a standard machine and 9 is correct.

Still have to adjust the Z alignment after I get dust collection to the machine but otherwise all seems good for now.

Thanks again
Tim

Gary Campbell
08-29-2017, 11:41 AM
Tim...
"So being used to the standard 4G small box, the stepper motors sound different to me but the RBK is supplying a lot more power and I guess that is it."

I'm glad that's what you were told, as the motors sounded pretty good to me!

Tim Lucas
08-29-2017, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=Gary Campbell;197822]Tim...
"So being used to the standard 4G small box, the stepper motors sound different to me but the RBK is supplying a lot more power and I guess that is it."

I'm glad that's what you were told, as the motors sounded pretty good to me![/QUOTE

Thank you Gary, they just sound like they start and stop harder and louder but I can tell they run a lot smoother.

Tim

Mayo
08-30-2017, 04:24 AM
What is the loud sound at the beginning of the motors spinning up? That would drive me crazy. It sounds like someone slamming a 5 gallon size paint stir stick down on the table. This can't be normal?