PDA

View Full Version : Had my first spoilboard fire.

gundog
09-15-2017, 11:19 PM
As the title says I had a spoilboard fire today. Man did that happen fast I am glad I was watching it. I have started machining more aluminum on my router lately. I usually machine plastic on the router and have all my tool paths saved as templates. I am still working through all the speeds and feeds for aluminum. I decided to take a shortcut and tweak a tool path for an 1/8" EM and forgot to change the start depth.
Bottom line it tried to plunge .370 to start when it should have started at 0. I was watching as I do on all new programs and hit the E stop but not before started the fire the bit got red hot and the air flow from the hold down started the fire I put water on it right away and had to move the sheet what a mess in less than a minute it burned a hole 1.5" in dia.

I spent the rest of the afternoon fixing the table. It happens very fast I am glad I was watching it.

flatheadyoungin
09-22-2017, 09:16 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience.....after a while, it's easy to feel like "it has worked a hundred times, I think I can walk off..."