PDA

View Full Version : What will run on WinXP?

Pat Wren (Unregistered Guest)
06-02-2005, 08:51 AM
I've got an older shopot (5 years old) I'm not sure if its a PR , prt etc. It has the numbers version 3.51 on the cicuit board of the control box.

I recently upgraded the computer to XP but am now having trouble connecting to the serial port.

Any ideas anyone, Do I need to go back to Win 98?

Brady Watson
06-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Pat,
I'm pretty sure that 3.51 is a PRT board. So the PR must have been upgraded to a PRT control box. You have 2 choices...You can either download the latest Windows based control software from Shopbot's webpage, v3.4.1 or if you are most comfortable using DOS, download v2.39. If in fact it is a PR box and not an upgraded/PRT box, then you will be limited to v2.38, and not be able to run the Windows version. If this is the case, then you can cheat a little bit with the software to get back up again.

To run the DOS version, provided that it is a PRT box, under WinXP, you'll need to purchase Virtual PC. (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx) This will allow you to run Win98 or DOS under WinXP as a seperate operating system within XP...It is a very slick setup and works for other legacy programs that need to run under DOS, Win95 and Win98.

Hope that helps,
-Brady

btk
06-02-2005, 09:53 AM
Pat,

I am not sure if it is applicable, however if you have upgraded your software from 2.x to 3.x you may have to update your Firmware on the control Box. This is one of the options on the Message window that pops up when it says you can not connect.

Search for that in the help file.

Brian