PDA

View Full Version : Spindle causing static on radio

phil_o
10-14-2006, 04:52 PM
I have a HSD spindle with a Yaskawa VFD. When the spindle is running it causes so much static on my radio that I have to shut it off. They are 15 - 20 feet apart and there is a wall separating them. How do I eliminate the static?

harryball
10-14-2006, 05:11 PM
Turn off the radio?

:-)

AM or FM? If it's AM you are probably up the creek. My table saw, miter saw... pretty much any motor will interfere with AM and how bad depends on where you are on the dial.

You might want to check your grounds anyway AM or FM. Check the equipment itself all the way to the physical connections to the spindle. A faulty ground can introduce noise not just in the air but back on the neutral in the shop. If the radio is plugged in, try one one on batteries to see if the interference is still there, this can help you identify how the signal is traveling.

I wear a radio headphone on FM and have little trouble listening to whatever I desire with the bot running (4HP HSD)

Robert

richards
10-14-2006, 05:20 PM
There are several pieces of add-on electronics that might help. 1-EMI filter. 2-Load reactor. 3 Line reactor. You can download the Delta VFD-B manual from:

http://www.delta.com.tw/product/em/ac_motor/ac_motor_manual.asp

It has a information about external noise reduction in section 2.4.2. Although your VFD would be different, the noise problem would be similar to other VFD units.

I added all three components to my 3hp Colombo and have very little interference on the TV. I don't use a radio in the shop, so I can't give you any information about radio interference.

The three components cost about $500 total.