PDA

View Full Version : Reduce gear noise and vibration

warhawk
06-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Many years ago when racing motorcycles we would replace helical cut gears with straight cut gears. The idea was that we would swap decreased noise for increased torque. Could we do just the opposite? Could we switch to helical cut R&P losing a little torque and gaining some quiet and smoothness.

Brady Watson
06-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Yes and no...If you are running a PRT Standard or PRS Alpha or Standard, I believe that you can run helical rack without destroying the stepper motors due to the side loads that helical rack places upon them. A 1:1 Alpha is out...they are not rated for these side loads. You'll want to check to be sure.

Helical rack is about 5 times more expensive than standard rack, not to mention the cost of pinions. Standard pinions for a PRS Alpha are in the $50 range...I can't imagine what the helical counterpart would cost.

I think that if people would get in the habit of replacing the only consumable on the entire machine - pinions - then they would maintain their factory smoothness throughout the life of the tool.

-B