PDA

View Full Version : New freshman, old ShopBot, 2 computers

sevendale
06-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Help friends! I just bought an old (third hand) ShopBot running v2.38 with Partwizard v1.010 on a windows98 computer. I have a new XP computer with cad for dxf files. Problem is the two systems won't talk! ( Yes I blame Bill Gates but hey) Here's my idea for a solution: I'll download the new ShopBot controller on the XP and hook up the old bot to the new cpu. My fear is that the old control box (a converted cpu box) won't be able to talk to the new XP. Anyone been here before? I didn't see this one in trouble shooting......

gerald_martin
06-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Hello Rob:

Maybe someone wiser than me can chime in here.

I think you will need
http://www.shopbottools.com/files/Setup_sb3_4_27_PRT.exe

because the version 3.5 software is for alpha tools and tools upgraded to a V4G control running on a USB interface. I'm assuming this is a standard shopbot ver. 3x control box? Read the number on the main board inside the box.

Does your new computer have a serial port? Some newer computers don't have a serial port and you'll need that for the connection to the Bot. The windows software provides real improvement in features and smoothness.

I think this plan should work.

Gerald

ljdm
06-04-2008, 01:33 PM
You could always use a Flash drive - design on newer computer, bring the Flash drive to the other, if it has a USB port. Thats what I do, even though I can use a wireless connection between the two, I prefer not to have any extra things running on the control computer, avoids problems.

sevendale
06-04-2008, 02:08 PM
You guys are awesome! But I called Jamie at ShopBot: the old pr (REALLY old) has to run the old way. BUT I can save a .dxf file as a version12 file and the old partwizard can read it. I just ran my first attempt: 5 shaped slots for chisel storage in a 2x6 syp. Ran good! Thanks for now. I'll practice some more till I'm good enough to get in real trouble! Over to the "ideas to sell" forum................