View Full Version : Sb control software

don62
12-15-2017, 10:26 PM
Has anyone used the indexer programs on the shopbot software? There are the choices to turn blank to finish size, turn traditional fute, spiral, ring, carve the blank into shape using profile, turn blank into polygone, wrap text on 3d file.
am about to do my first on home-made indexer and wondering simplest start - sb software or aspire

Brady Watson
12-16-2017, 08:36 AM
Don,
Yes...I've used both and others in conjunction with the indexer. The routines in SB3 are pretty rudimentary. They do work - however they don't give you the level of control and visual feedback that you'd get in Aspire.

Back when I bought my first Bot, the information available was like nil...There were like 5 guys scattered around the country that knew how to use it with ArtCAM for 3D rotary stuff. There was a single page included with the indexer that showed you what a cove & bead were and how to set the dip switches in the control box for degrees...this doc (http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/files/Indexer%20PRT%20Part%20Wizard%202006%2005%2009.pdf ) was a major improvement - but still is pretty lame. There's more info these days via Vectric and SBDocs.

Stick with Aspire and do a few projects before messing with the canned routines in SB3. Aspire basically takes a flat plane and wraps it around a cylinder...so it's pretty easy to understand what is going on, like any other flat 2D or 3D relief you have worked with in the past. Be sure to properly rough out before 3D finish machining...and mind the chuck and tailstock!

Keep an eye on your cut and jog speeds for the indexer. You can change the rotary speeds via the VS command. Rather than spending an hour trying to get your square blank round, you can also manually knock down the corners. Move the B axis to where the corner is pointing up, then use the arrow keys to flatten it down. You can zero the B axis there (ZB) then MB,90 to do the next corner, MB,180 and MB,270. It's pretty easy once you get going.

Give yourself plenty of time to machine your rotary project....they have a way of taking WAY longer than you thought they should!

-B

don62
12-16-2017, 10:30 PM
Brady, a briliant suggestion to begin manually - my first effort is to turn the square into round, so manually really is the right way to go. Much thanks, don

don62
12-19-2017, 01:28 PM
Ok, the indexer is up and running - no pics yet, but it works. And the manual operation was the key to testing it out.
a question: seems my indexer works on channel A not B. Can i i re-assign it to B, if so how or do i need to move the controller in the box? It works fine, just creates a problem with software code

Brady Watson
12-19-2017, 01:31 PM
What machine model are you running? DT, BT, PRSAlpha, PRSStandard, PRTAlpha, PRT4G, PRT3G...?

-B

don62
12-20-2017, 05:53 PM
I think it is a prsstandard - purchased it way back in 2000 and did the control box upgrade a few years ago

Brady Watson
12-20-2017, 06:34 PM
Make sure that the indexer is physically plugged into the 5th slot on the board. (XXYZAB) and then VI and make sure Driver Channel 5 = B. This will give you the least amount of agg going forward...you can swap A for B in software, but there are some caveats.

-B

don62
12-21-2017, 06:27 AM
Will not know until i open the case, but i bet i just put it into the next available slot - manually works fine in A, but a real pain with the software. Thanks

Brady Watson
12-21-2017, 08:19 AM
If you're not sure, take a pic of the inside of the control box and post it. We'll get you sorted.

-B

don62
12-21-2017, 01:48 PM
Will do, but right now i am running a program that i wrote to make a rolling pin with tapered handles - an indexer is the cat’s meow! (Just how old in Don??). Then i need to break for Christmas. So opening the case is next week.
Mr Brady you have an absolutely wonderful Christmas! And may 2018 be a happy healthy one for your and yours.
sincerely, Don

Brady Watson
12-21-2017, 02:07 PM
You too Don. I'm working on another project for the Bot you may have interest in...still under wraps right now, but I've been meaning to do it for like 10 years now...It should be worth it. I post when ready...

-B

don62
12-27-2017, 12:48 PM
Here are two pictures of the inside of my control box - i do not see a B slot, only Ahttp://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31003&stc=1http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31004&stc=1

Brady Watson
12-27-2017, 06:59 PM
The 5th driver, Acc will be your B axis. Just make sure in VD it's set to 5 axes & VI Channel 4 says B. You can put A in channel 5.

Now your software should output properly. It will most likely read values for X,Y,Z,,B; where the comma is just a place holder for the B axis values.

-B

don62
12-29-2017, 11:06 AM
Brady, sounds like a software change - i do not see any other place to put the controller - so i will re-install the control box and go from there. Don

don62
01-03-2018, 05:49 PM
Brady, ok, think i have this now set up - control box back toghether with no changes made. Indexer was still on A and VD showed 5 Axis - then went to VI and changed channel 4 to B and channel 5 to A. Did a test and MB rotated the indexer. So i the control box and software are now on the same channel. My missing step was to go to VI and reassign the channels. Picture is not real clear but shows VI and B now in channel 4 and A in channel 5. Appreciate the helphttp://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31029&stc=1

Brady Watson
01-03-2018, 06:37 PM
Right on - post some pics of your masterpiece when you get it cut :D

-B

don62
01-04-2018, 11:20 PM
ok, here are first items. very basic, but to me to ‘turn’ solid surface material is absolutely amazing. these were made from scrap and crudely glued up, so seams are evident. cylinder was very first. other two have taped end using program i wrote. never realized how great a tool an indexer is and just how much fun it ishttp://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31043&stc=1

Brady Watson
01-05-2018, 09:06 AM
Great! What are they? Plugs for salt water fishing? Tool handles?

-B

don62
01-05-2018, 06:06 PM
They are rolling pins or that is the current strategy - the tapered ends help with the rolling. Weight helps and future models will have designs that would be imparted on to the dough. But the real purpose of them is to see if i could do it with SS -i have gobs of 1-1/2 strips and not enough contrastin colors for checker boards. Cheers Don

Brady Watson
01-06-2018, 07:50 AM
Nice - I think there were a few guys over the years doing rolling pins. A CNC lathe may be in your future...

Google 'Candy Press' - and go to images. That will give you some ideas for a rotary press using patterned impressions. Maybe interchangeable rollers for like a pasta press would work for your application.

Years ago there was a company selling a product that put an a repeating impression on a clay-like material that sat on top of MDF for detailed moldings. Not sure if it ever took off, but it was a neat concept...this is also how those intricate picture frames are made using gesso, then gold leafed etc.

-B