PDA

View Full Version : Changes in sound of stepper motors...

threadfx
05-23-2001, 07:26 PM
Fairly new Shopbotter here...

I've noticed that when the machine is moving in either axis, I hear a change in pitch from the motors. Of course I don't hear it when doing any work, just when the router is off, and I am jogging or moving to a new location. The change in pitch is very noticeable, but I really can't perceive a change in speed.

Any one else noticed this, or have a explanation?

chuck_p
06-09-2001, 09:43 AM
Aaron,
I'm a new user also but have noticed that the motors seem quite loud. I'm doing a lot of splines right now and am learning the programing. I read other posts about programing splines and tried those techniques - it made the machine run much smoother and the noises were reduced. You might try cutting squares or straight lines and observe the noises.

Also, the machine maintains a constant cutting speed so when cutting curves the X and Y motors will have to change speed in order maintain the same cutting speed.

applemac@sunbeach.net
03-14-2002, 09:42 AM
I've noticed a VERY-high-pitched sound coming from some of the motors.. but only intermitently.
I've learned to ignore it, since it isn't accompanied by any overheating or mechanical malfunction.
Just wondering if anyone else with intact hi-end hearing may have experienced the same phenomenon...

garbob
03-14-2002, 05:49 PM
My z motor does it quite often after a cutting file is run or if I use the "k" command to use the keyboard to move it around. I usually just raise or lower the z axis a couple of thou and it goes away. It is a very nasty noise.