PDA

View Full Version : Loosing connection - Alpha W/ Colombo

wesday
09-13-2004, 09:12 PM
I am having a problem with my new alpha. The cut files will run just fine "in the air", and the spindle will run just fine on its own. The problem is, when I switch on switch #1 then load a file, AS SOON as I hit the start button on the control box I loose my com connection, but the spindle starts. I have a spindle router combo. Another problem (maybe related) is on the contacts that my router in wired into, the "buttons" won't lock down (always tripped) except for a couple of times while I was wiring prox. switches etc. I noticed them down. I can hold them both down and my router will run. Also, when I switch my z's, the spindle still starts instead of the router.

Thanks,
Wes

wesday
09-13-2004, 09:16 PM
I am running software v3.3.1 on windows xp.

paco
09-13-2004, 10:27 PM
Have you UI (command) lately ?!?! Like after installing 3.3.1? Was it functionning better before 3.3.1 or is it the first installed?
I notice you are using two 'Z'... am I right? Maybe you could re-check all connections and configuration...
And get to support@shopbottools.com (mailto:support@shopbottools.com) about it...

beacon14
09-14-2004, 03:07 AM
Wes,

Sounds like a wiring problem. A call to ShopBot tech support is in order.

fleinbach
09-14-2004, 07:50 AM
I'm not sure if this fits your problem but I was having a problem with my alpha for a while before I finaly figured out what was wrong. I too would run a file in the air and everything worked just fine. But while cutting I would loose connection to the com port sometimes right away , but sometimes it would run for a while before stopping. This was repeated more times then I can remember until one day It dawned on me what was differant between an air cut and the real one. On the real cut I turned on my vacuum system. Duhhh!
Everything including my vacuum was grounded, I checked all these things numerous times because I was having this problem. What the problem turned out to be was the last 10 feet of my vacuum hose was flex hose made of only plastic, ie. no wire to ground. I replaced it with a wire wound hose and grounded it. I have not had a single stop since.

There are many posts in here that I have read pertaining to grounding. I have been working with electronics all my life and should have known better. But for some reason I just didn't think 10 feet of ungrounded hose would be a problem. I also had one other clue that this was the problem when one of my guys said he got a static shock from the hose.

I guess if anyone else ever reads this my advise is GROUND everything no matter how insignificant it seems.

paco
09-14-2004, 09:12 AM
Right Frank... that could be the issue too...

wesday
09-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Thanks for all the feedback.
Shopbot thinks it is a "noise" problem and they are sending me a line filter. I'll let everyone know if this works. I am only the third person to have this identical problem. Has something to do with single phase elec. and the Colombo VFD.

sagreen83
09-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Wes,

I had a similar problem with my PRTAlpha router contactor. Basically after hitting start the router would not spin up unless I pressed the "Button" on the contactor. After that it worked fine until I power cycled the box and I would have to do it again. The problem was that the contactor was screwed onto the side of the box too tightly. I loosened the bottom screw on the contactor and it solved the problem. Dont know if you are having a similar issue or not, but thought I would mention it.

thanx,
Scott...

wesday
09-16-2004, 11:20 PM
Please disreguard the "buttons won't lock down" statement on my first post......STUPIDITY on my part.