PDA

View Full Version : Machine won't move.

gdayers
10-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Help! My machine lost contact in the middle of a file. After a reboot, software said I was connected again, (I was in move/cut mode), however, the machine would not move. The software would show the cordinates changing when I would try to move but nothing was actually happening. It won't move in any axis. I'm in the middle of a large project with a tight timetable and any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Gregg
Its a PRT running software v.2.21

billp
10-19-2004, 06:49 PM
Gregg, Have you tried to see if you could move the machine using just the keypad yet?

paco
10-19-2004, 06:55 PM
Something alike happen to me on some occasion (I have an Alpha though)... here how I figure the problem and how I "repaired"; the symptoms was like what you observe. Check the VI; maybe the channel settings got "dis-configure"... I had to set it back according to the manual to get it back communicating correctly... for me, it look like that and it was changed after loosing connection...

Hope this help. Good luck!

elcruisr
10-19-2004, 07:16 PM
This happened on my old PRT and a reboot of the computer and a shutdown of the control box and a restart while the computer was down always did the trick. Have you tried doing this?

Eric

gdayers
10-19-2004, 08:13 PM
Bill, I have tried the keypad with the same results. Multiple reboots of the computer and controller box has not worked. When I start the software it tells me I'm conected on com port 1, but I still can't move in any direction. I can't find any loose conections. Thanks all for the replys so far and don't hesitate to throw out any more thoughts.
Thanks,
Gregg

artisan
10-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Gregg.....IF you have a solid repeatable starting point and IF you wrote down the line number where you lost contact, then re-zeroing your machine and using the FG command should solve your problem. It sounds as though your machine is "lost" and does not know where it is. This is one of the great advantages of the new "closed loop" alphas....they cannot get "lost".

A second useful tip that has been mentioned before, is to drill a hole at the zero point on large projects, so that you can always manually find your starting point again. If you hit the "JH" command and nothing happens, then the Bot is probably lost. If you use the "K" keyboard command as Bill suggested and the Bot won't move, then you may have a more serious problem. Keep us posted....D

artisan
10-19-2004, 08:17 PM
Obviously late with the last post...sorry. I wish you luck...I know how frustrating it can be...D

paco
10-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Don't want to sound annoying but... had you check the VI setting? Did you check the UD too see if something changed? There are useful stuff there to trouble-shoot problem...

billp
10-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Gregg
Version 2.21 is a pretty old version of the software. I had a similar problem last year and I upgraded to a later version of the software which solved the issue. Best news was that somehow, in spite of the different software(s), the machine "knew"where it was when I re-opened the program and I was still able to use my original "0,0"point to finish the job ( luckily since it was a customer's 2"thick piece of precision board..). I don't know it that is the way the machine always handles software upgrades, but it might be worth a shot.Had you ever tried to run this particular file on your machine before?

paco
10-19-2004, 09:17 PM
Another idea; had you tryed to "remove" your current shopbot.ini file from the sb200 folder? Placing it elsewhere to make the software create a new one?

gdayers
10-19-2004, 11:24 PM
I'm not concerned about having to re zero the machine. I just want to get the machine moving. I will recheck VI in the AM. I even completely reloaded software and it didn't help. I tried updating the software about a month ago...no luck. Machine didn't like it...maybe wrong version. What is confusing to me is the software telling me I'm connected when its not conecting. Normally as soon as the bot connects I hear a clunk, thats not happening. Going crazy.

Brady Watson
10-20-2004, 01:15 AM
Gregg, Just a thought...is it in Preview mode? Make sure it is in Move/Cut with the SM command.

Also...download the latest version of the software (V2.39SX_M.exe) and be sure to run the Load46 to load the control box. There are many improvements in in 2.39 that cure a lot of issues. Write down your Unit Values to be safe before you load and copy your SB200 and SBParts folders in case they get overwritten. I had similar problems running with 2.35 and 2.39 cured all the ailments.

-Brady

gerald_d
10-20-2004, 02:50 AM
Gregg, is your main power supply (+/- 48V), that sits next to the control board, giving an output when you put a voltmeter over it? We have blown a power supply before.

Here (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/26/1961.html) is the reference. The cause of our old supply dying was quite obvious when we opened it - it has a fan and very small air paths inside, completely clogged with dust. We didn't realise how hard we had to blow to keep it clean.

gdayers
10-20-2004, 07:01 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Tech support believes my motherboard is shorted out.