PDA

View Full Version : New 4g install

waynelocke
01-21-2007, 02:36 PM
I just installed a 4g board and, boy, what a difference. I have only jogged it a couple of times but it looks and sounds like a different machine. I did have a question about noise. My control box now makes a louder sound than with the older board — similar to fan noise. Is this normal?

What speeds are people getting on the PRT's with this board? The default 10 inch jog is amazingly impressive.

Wayne

waynelocke
01-21-2007, 10:13 PM
After making a total of 2 jogs earlier this afternoon, I just came back from cutting about 30 minutes on the bot. It was unbelievable. The files were made with a move speed of 1.80 in/sec and I would normally keep my fingers on the keyboard to slow it down if needed. I started cutting at 4.8 and had to do an FG. When it started back up it was at 8in/sec. I immediately hit the spacebar and then thought, "What the heck" and finished the part at that speed. I was blown away but continued the rest of the pieces at 5 to 6in/sec.

The improved quality of the cuts on the arcs was really impressive.

Just seeing it cut and those speeds and then to smoothly jog away at the end at 13 in/sec was like watching a new machine.

I may fill up the garbage can tomorrow with reject parts but I will be going to sleep tonight with no regrets about the upgrade. I know that "Pride cometh before a fall" but, at least, I will have had a good nights sleep.

Wayne

jamesgilliam
01-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Wayne, I'm looking forward to seeing the improved version of your machine at the Camp.

dgs
02-07-2007, 02:47 PM
hi
I loaded my software and new 4g board it sweemed to word ok at first ,but then i started to lose power to the z motor I could move it by hand.
when I start the program the machine file starts before I can fill in the pop up sheet.
Any help on that.
i have now put the old board back and used the prt software , put in the va values at 733 as it was. now it goes twice the distance x y and 4 times z am i missing something.

Brady Watson
02-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Derek,
1) Call ShopBot regarding your 4G & the Z motor.

2) If the tool moves 2X as far as it should, double the unit value. 4X, quadruple the unit value, to get you back where you should be.

-B

dgs
02-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks Brady,
I have done that, but but it is a bit strange that I need to do it ,when before i changed the board it was fine.What cuold change in that swop over ?

Brady Watson
02-07-2007, 04:27 PM
The unit values on the 4G with 25 tooth XY pinions and 20 tooth Z pinion is: 1833.465 XY, 2291.831 for the Z. If you have 7.2:1 PRT motors, or a different pinion tooth count, you will have to recalculate for your tool.

-B

dgs
02-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks,these are for the normal prt board, as I went back to that ,because of the z power loss.