View Full Version : 2 'Bots, 2 wireless remotes?

stargategfx
02-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Expecting delivery of my second Shopbot any day now!!!
Problem is that both machines will be operating in the same room.
With my original machine I have been using a Microsoft wireless keyboard as a remote control to move the carriage around etc. and it has worked beautifully.
I'd like to set up the same system on the new Bot, using a second computer of course.
Am I going to have problems with the two wireless keyboards cross-talking between the two computers or do they run on seperate frequencies?
Thanks if you can help.

Brady Watson
02-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Most likely they will interfere with each other. You may get around this by using a different brand wireless keyboard in the chance that the frequencies differ enough. One thing that I found is that many times 2 wireless devices cannot be used simulataneously because the one broadcasts (creating a cloud of interference to the other, even on different frequencies) and blocks communication. I would do lots of testing to make sure that the one isn't going to send messages to the other machine...you DON'T need that!

-B

fleinbach
02-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Or better yet go back to wired, that's what I did. I started with a wireless keyboard and mouse but got tired of forgeting to recharge the mouse. I also noticed I never realy needed to move my keyboard like I thought I would. So in my opinion wired has far less chance for failing.

stargategfx
02-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, but Frank, having used the wireless setup for the last two years I will never go back.
The way my current setup works is that I run dual monitors, one of which is an old lcd with a few lines of dead pixels.
This one I have in my clean-room sitting in a window that faces the shop, using the wireless keyboard inside the shop allows me easy, precise cutting head placement, and bit changes and z-zeroing with the plate is a piece of cake.
The setup also allows me a little more freedom of where in the shop the Shopbot(s) will be placed.
As far as battery / keyboard recharging, my keyboard tells me well in advance that my batteries are running low, I keep a backup set in a smart-charger mounted to the office wall.

handh
02-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Try using a bluetooth wireless keyboard. They are paired with each computer and should not interfere with each other. I use a logitech bluetooth keyboard and keypad and mouse and have not had any problems.

stargategfx
02-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Jeff, just curious as to what kind of distance you can be with the keyboard from the PC and still get reliable response?

handh
02-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Boyd,
I can go anywhere in my shop and it works fine. My shop is 32 x 50, I have also try it through the outside wall and it still works. I have been very pleased with them. They are a little pricey unless you can catch them on sale.

bleeth
02-04-2007, 07:42 AM
Boyd: I have two computers 4 feet from each other that are both using Logitech wireless keyboards and mice. Never had interference. Been set up this way for years.