PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy bits

John Jaquet
05-25-2018, 01:32 PM
I know this question is been asked before but I’m having a real hard time searching through the forum. Where have you guys found the best place to buy your beds online? Thanks, JJ

coryatjohn
05-25-2018, 02:31 PM
Amazon is my first go-to. Most end mills can be purchased with no shipping if you are a Prime member. You do have to know exactly what you are looking for as there is very little accurate search and virtually no support but if you know what you want and want to pay the least amount, Amazon is #1. My second source is EBay, same restrictions. Onsrud has an EBay store (or they used to) that sells a lot of end mills way below catalog price. I suspect a lot of these are end of model closeouts but still, perfectly good bits. My favorite EBay end mills are the 1/8" shank sizes in 10-packs. Many can be purchased for about $1.50 each this way.

The other sources vary widely and depend on the type of end mill you are looking for. Some have direct support where you can talk to someone about the best options for your job and even get feeds and speeds.

John Jaquet
05-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Thanks. I am really looking for a bit that is in the tool database. A 1/8 taper ball nose.

jTr
05-25-2018, 03:54 PM
John,
I recently replaced the Onsrud 1/8" tapered ball nose that originally came with the starter set. Centurian Tools is one of my favorite sources for bits - great quality, fair price. If you're not insistent on the Onsrud brand, this one is an identical copy for pitch, 3 flutes and razor sharp:

https://www.centuriontools.com/router-bits-toolcase/solid-carbide-wood-router-bits.html?sku=18US31.53TBN-1&pcn=Ballnose&pid=801&sat=1

Jeff

John Jaquet
05-25-2018, 06:42 PM
John,
I recently replaced the Onsrud 1/8" tapered ball nose that originally came with the starter set. Centurian Tools is one of my favorite sources for bits - great quality, fair price. If you're not insistent on the Onsrud brand, this one is an identical copy for pitch, 3 flutes and razor sharp:

https://www.centuriontools.com/router-bits-toolcase/solid-carbide-wood-router-bits.html?sku=18US31.53TBN-1&pcn=Ballnose&pid=801&sat=1

Jeff

Thanks for the info