PDA

View Full Version : LOSING CONNECTION WHEN SPINDLE COMES ON

art
11-19-2005, 01:45 PM
We have had sporadic problems with connections, the line filter from shopbot seemed to help. in prep for hurricane we disconnected high voltage cables and removed control box, now that it is all put back together exactly as it was before to the best of our ability and knowledge, it is very consistently losing connection when we start the spindle. We have routed power cables away form each other and motor cables to reduce interference, tried jumping the e stop switch. it will connect on shopbot3 startup and move through a part file with no spindle on. we downloaded new version. we are running windows 2000. Error is always connection to control box lost. We have 240 single phase power with delta vfd-b to convert power. Does the error "connection to control box lost" always refer to usb serial connection to box or can it mean any interference in general? Happy to give more information if someone needs it to help...thank you

richards
11-19-2005, 02:06 PM
I changed the USB to Serial cable to fix the same problem last summer. The device is a Dynex Model DX-UBDB9 purchased from BestBuy. It cost about $40.

The USB to Serial supplied with my Alpha worked perfectly for over a year with the PC7518 router, but it wouldm't work with the 3hp spindle.

In addition, I grounded the Window's computer's case to a common ground on the Shopbot.

gerald_d
11-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Any of you guys use the zero phase reactors (http://web1.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/AC_Drives_-z-_Motors/GS_Configuration_-a-_Communications_-a-_Software/RF220X00A) as filters that Delta recommend on page 3-5 of their manual (http://www.delta.com.tw/product/em/ac_motor/download/manual/VFD-V/5011608402/03%20wiring.pdf)? It seems a very low-cost ($21), simple thing to try in cases like this. More (http://www.powerqualityanddrives.com/emi_rfi/) light reading.

paco
11-19-2005, 02:25 PM
Hi Art!

Have you the latest SB3? 3.4.9 (though not released I think) was more stable to disconnection than 3.4.8 and since 17/11/2005, there is a new release (3.4.15)... maybe they've investigated further this issue...?

Have you (or consider) to ground the connection of the serial to USB adapter to control box as suggest by someone else as a fix... sorry, I can remember where is the thread... but here the pics he post...

davidp
11-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Gerald,

We have 3hp Columbo Spindle supplied by Shopbot. The VFD supplied did not have an EMI filter. In Australia it is illegal to connect such a device with out a filter.

We sourced a filter locally and installed it at the same time so I can not comment of the interference generated with out the filter but I can only summise that it would be horrendous. Even with the filter it is impossible to listen to radio anywhere in the factory due to the interference even 10 to 15 metres away from the factory you will still encounter some interference.

I will try the zero phase reactors and let you know. Thanks for the information.

Ryan Patterson
11-19-2005, 06:29 PM
Art,
I was having the same problem until I grounded the USB to the control box.

gerald_d
11-20-2005, 01:00 AM
David, the "reactor" is just a big ferrite ring. In an appendix at the back of the Delta manual they show you to wrap each of the 3 Line wires through and around the ring 4 times, like this:

This applies for 3 and 5 HP systems - bigger stuff has a different arrangement.

3d_danny
11-20-2005, 02:44 PM
Gerald,

Any idea if the outer insulation needs to be removed or can it be wrapped as is?

It will make many people happy if I get rid of all the RF interference. Thanks for the info....
Dan

gerald_d
11-20-2005, 03:04 PM
I am very sure that the insulation is left on.