PDA

View Full Version : Shopbot stops communication trying to cut part

metalmaker
07-18-2006, 12:41 PM
I am having a problem with the shopbot starting to move after the command to cut and suddenly it freezes and I get a "Comm Break at Ser -0 -1" and the output switch #4 lights up. I have read thru the manual, the forum and even talked with shopbot tech support but cannot fix the problem. I have tried running the software on another computer while talking to the bot and it does exactly the same thing so it doesn't seem to be a computer issue. I am running Version 2.38. When it says try to reconnect, I do and it runs for just about 3-4 seconds and I get the same error. I can move the bot fine in the keyboard command, or giving it a direct command in movements but it acts up when you try to give it ANY file to cut. I have tried the standard logo file and created my own in the part wizard and others and I get the same result. Can anybody HELP??????? I have a PR96. Thanks!

Brady Watson
07-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Here are a few suggestions and places I would start investigating:

1) Make sure that the computer is fast enough. I would shoot for a 233MHz or faster.

2) Make sure that you are getting a good 'Timing number' Low timing numbers somehow cause poor performance. You can try resync'ing the timing by typing in the UP command. Keep doing this until you get a number greater than 50 (your results may vary)

3) Hopefully nothing else is running on the computer while you are running 2.38. This includes PartWizard (which incidentally will cause disconnects for those of you running SB3)

4) Grounding. Make sure that the machine is grounded to the control box and MOST IMPORTANTLY, if you are running dust collection, make CERTAIN that you have a bare copper ground wire going thru the hose and attached to ground. This will wick up static that WILL cause comm breaks and fried communication chips on the PRT board(s).

5) You should be running in True DOS or Win98 SE, win2k or XP will not run the tool properly.

Hope that helps!
-Brady

gerald_d
07-18-2006, 03:44 PM
....win2k or XP will not run the tool properly? Tell us more?

patricktoomey
07-18-2006, 03:56 PM
I have run mine on Win2K since a week after I got it. It was on Win98 SE and gave me fits. Upgrading to Win2K fixed it. My backup control computer is WinXP, also no trouble with it.

metalmaker
07-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks so much for reply!
1)I am running a Pentium 111 processor w/ 500mhz
w/ Windows 98 SE
2)Timing numbers are coming in at 99,100 and 105
3)Nothing else is running, no screen saver, no task scheduler, no Part Wizard...nothing...
4)We are using a wooden table but have added a copper wire from metal on machine to the frame of the control box, restarted everything, but it didn't fix the problem. We have no dust collector or any accessories.
5)The Shopbot tech walked us thru true DOS but the problem still persisted.
As a side note, when we first bought it a few months ago, the gentleman was running it in DOS on a old 486. We brought it home and it was working fine. We built a new wooden table, a newer computer, reloaded everything and this is when it all started. Even the old 486 shows the exact same messages when we connect it to the shopbot, which it never did before......Hmmmm we are really STUMPED!

patricktoomey
07-18-2006, 04:25 PM
That is starting to sound more and more like a flaky cable , grounding or electircal interference problem. I would wonder if maybe the serial cable went intermittent during the time you changed computers. That or a grounding issue popped up. I would do as Brady suggested and double check your groundings and I would also swap out the serial cable for good measure to see what happens. Technically you should change one thing at a time so you know what fixed it in the end.