PDA

View Full Version : Newbie on board

Dave Bostic
12-28-2018, 06:36 PM
Hello all,

Dave B here. Retired from a 40 year career in restaurant supervision and am starting exploration here and now. Attended ShopBot training in NC this November and purchased a Desktop Max and 6 inch indexer while. I have been learning tutorials since about a month before class.

I have done lots of woodwork prior to this venture, but am extremely excited about the potential of computers mixed with wood work. I did my research and through reputation for service of the product, ShoBot was THE choice. Meeting Ted and the team at class only validated my selection of this brand.

Looking forward to learning from you guys and then supporting as I am able.

Thanks,

Dave

coryatjohn
12-28-2018, 11:34 PM
Two major things to success:

1. The right hold down strategy.

2. The right feeds and speeds for the job.

scottp55
12-29-2018, 04:08 AM
AND learning the Vectric software(recommend joining the forum....every bit as helpful as folks here).
CNC is just another tool, BUT can sure change your thinking!!!!
Whatever you PLANNED you'd be doing with machine..increase by a factor of 10:)

Welcome Dave! :)
scott

chiloquinruss
12-29-2018, 12:16 PM
Welcome to the fray! ;) By all means don't be afraid to ask questions. Take pictures of the problem and post it along with the questions. Watch the tutorials over on the Vectric website. Biggest hint I have for a newbie is learn to LISTEN to your machine, it will tell you what it wants to do. Take your time, have fun, don't get frustrated, we have ALL been there, DONE that! ;) Welcome. Russ