PDA

View Full Version : Dual Chuck - Changer idea/questions

ughtas
03-06-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm interested in spindles with tool changers -- the cost is way out of line for me currently but I thought I'd toss out a "Great Idea" :-)

Would it be possible to provide a through shaft on the spindle and attach chucks on each end of the shaft? I don't think a gearbox driving two chucks on a reversing z-axis would be very good at the speeds involved, but if you could literally flip the spindle head 180 degrees to apply the second chuck that would be pretty cool.

I don't know what the bearing requirement or load would be (i haven't even bought a Shopbot yet!) and obviously you'd have to account for the rotation clockwise vs. counter clockwise by reversing the motor spin direction when you flipped, or using bits with left and right cutting edges.

I know you probably don't take "suggestions" this way, but it seems like having two bits and a simple reversing mechanism to flip the spindle head would not be horribly expensive.

stevem
03-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Good idea, but you're a few years too late.It's been done.

harold_weber
03-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Tom, see the following drawing for the Perske offering.

www.crpindustries.com/images/perskedownloads/specs/KNS61.13-2DS.jpg (http://www.crpindustries.com/images/perskedownloads/specs/KNS61.13-2DS.jpg)

If you don't want to buy left hand rotation tooling for the opposite chuck, most VFD inverters have provisions to electrically reverse the spindle rotation.

ughtas
03-06-2007, 08:18 PM
That's cool that it's done, but any idea why ShopBot doesn't ship such a thing as a production line item?