PDA

View Full Version : Other routers that I can mount in my shopbot?

drodda
10-28-2005, 03:40 PM
I have a prtalpha with the PC 7518 router. I am looking to mount a router that does not have the slow start or a speed control built right in the router. I am looking to reduce the speed of my machine down to 500-1500 rpms. Does anyone on here have any suggestions for doing this? I am planning on mounting a different router for use when I need the speed reductions? Thanks for any help.

gerald_d
10-28-2005, 03:46 PM
For those speeds you need a "router" like this. (http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=Magnetic%20Base%20Drills) Those motors can normally be purchased without the pedestals - and have nice mounting points.

drodda
10-28-2005, 04:01 PM
I have an older router that I use a speed controller on and it will slow down to almost no rpms. It does not fit in the router collar on the shopbot. the speed controller will not work on a slow start router. Either I need an adapter or I will have to build something that will work. I just figured that maybe someone on here who has had his SB for longer would have a solution before I reinvent the wheel.

gerald_d
10-28-2005, 04:09 PM
If you use an electronic device to slow a motor down, you don't get much torque out. A gearbox is the right thing if you still want lots of torque.

Plus, the built in fan of the motor doesn't give enough cooling at such low speeds which are way below its designed operating speed.

But, you say you already have something that works okay for you, that's fine.

drodda
10-28-2005, 06:05 PM
It's worked before in my router table but I have never tried it in my shopbot. It might get too hot to run at these speeds. that is why I am asking for help. I appreciate your comments. I don't need alot of torque just the rpm speed as there will not be much of a load. I am turning a end brush to polish metal. Not cutting anything with it at this speed.

mrdovey
10-29-2005, 05:51 AM
Dave...

Sounds like you don't need a router at all. If you're willing to make a mount for it, I have a small motor and speed control removed from a little three-wheel bandsaw you're welcome to carry away. You'd need a coupling to hold the brush shank; but I don't think that'd pose any real problem.

BTW, I have some other stuff in the shop that has your name on it!

...Morris

drodda
10-29-2005, 08:11 PM
Morris,
I will stop out this week to see you. Thanks for the info.

Dave