PDA

View Full Version : A simple circle !!

german
04-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Hi guys, today i was triying to cut a circle on 1/4 inch plastic 14.75 outside & 9.5 inside, toolpath for that was .125 stepdown, 1.5 ips, 16000 rpm, I use a 1/4 super o-flute, climb for the inside and conventional for the outside, everything worked good until it was machining time, the machine stops on line # 24, and I got a message that said "missing comm return. hit "ok" to attempt to continue". which I did with out any results, I also notice that outputs 1 & 4 were ligth blue, I ran the file on preview mode and it was ok, the same as other files, I check all the conections, reload firmware, any help to work out with this will be welcome

dubliner
04-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Out of curiosity, What was your Z speed & what machine do have??

german
04-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Z speed was 2 ips, and I have a prs standar.

german.

Brady Watson
04-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Z speed to too fast...reduce to 1 IPS - but that has nothing to do with your error.

Make sure your dust collection & machine are grounded. Also, run SpeedTest.exe (with SB3 program closed) in your C:\Program Files\ShopBotBeta\Diagnostics folder. See what your comm speed is. Upgrade to USB 2.0 card & 2.0 hub if necessary.

-B

german
04-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Hi guys, thank you very much for your answers, I ran the file today, first the inside cut and then the outside one, and everything was perfect, I'm thinking it was something wrong whit the way I toolphat it.
Brady, dust collection and machine are grounded, I also did the speed test and got 73.8, this is a new pc that I order because the DELL I got on december does not work at all ( a lot of vibration at low speeds) the new computer has USB 2.0 on it, and is only to work with the BOT, PARTWORKS, PARTWIZARD, COREL DRAW, WIND. XP PRO, and thats it.
Thank you very much for take the time and answer me.
German

Brady Watson
04-05-2008, 09:02 PM
No problem German. Dell computers don't seem to work with Bots very well, in my experience, unless you install a 2.0 card & hub. Your comm speeds are a little low. You would probably benefit from a 2.0 hub plugged into that 2.0 card. The hub works it's magic with an 'enhanced' port that is created when you plug it in. The enhanced port is not present with only a 2.0 card. The hub should bump your comm speeds up to the 78-87% range. Any brand will do - el cheapo even...as long as you are sure that it is 2.0 spec.

-B

german
04-05-2008, 09:54 PM
I'll do it, I have one I buy 2 years ago for my old pc. I will install it on monday, thank you very much.
German.

Buckeye Don
04-07-2008, 02:17 PM
How right you are Brady, I installed a $20.00 hub on my Dell laptop and moved the speed test from 53% to 73%.Don

german
04-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Hi Brady, Today I install the USB 2.0 hub on my pc. but the speed test gave me the same result as 73.8% that I had before, why do you think this is happening? is it normal to have these readings?.
Thank you in advance.

German.

Brady Watson
04-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Go into the Control Panel of XP and click on System. Under Hardware tab, click on Device Manager. At the top, click on View, then 'View deivces by connection'. Scroll down and see if you see a 'Standard Enhanced' USB (anything)...make sure that your ShopBot is listed under the Enhanced port. It will not say ShopBot, but it will say whatever USB to Serial device you have.

You can also access the USB device list via Help->About in SB3 or in the Diagnostics folder USBView.exe

-B

scottj
04-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi German,

It is very important to see where your Hub is connected to the computer. Not all of the ports will run as an enhanced port so if you plug in the hub on a regular port you will not see any change to the communication speed of your device. The Dell computers that we run here in our shop saw a significant increase in speed by plugging in the USB 2.0 hub. It is also possible to get a Hub that is not a USB 2.0 enhanced version and this will not give you an increase in speed either. The condition of your hard-drive can have an affect on the connection as well so you may need to do some of the windows maintenance like cleaning the hard-drive of excess clutter or defragmenting the hard-drive. Please contact support if you have further questions in this regard.

Regards,

B. Scott Julian
Tech Support & Training
ShopBot Tools, Inc