PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Desktop

Bud Meade
12-23-2019, 04:30 PM
I've found a couple but really have no idea of what is a fair price.

What say you?

scottp55
12-24-2019, 11:30 AM
Bud,
It's wildly variable depending on year/use/and what comes with it.

When we bought 2(2013 and 2014) they came with only a 4" Z travel.
About April 2015, they came with 5.5"Z...You WANT the 5.5".
Shopbot carried a Z Retrofit Kit at a reasonable price and we redid both machines and love the extra travel.
IF looking at a 4"Z model...make sure to call Sales and check price and availability.....They'll Need the brand of the Z-Rail(there were 2 different rails used)see pic.

I forget the year that they Improved the Desktop to twin motors on the Y axis.
That allows you to remove some deck and work on the vertical, makes a difference if you want to work on the end of the material(dovetails/etc.).....Mine has a center Y screw, so only a few inches if you tried it.
Another thing about the older ones was it had a one-piece welded frame(I love it)that's solid as a rock....
the new twin Y's have a bolted frame, but I have no experience with them.

IF you can, try to get spindle for your ears/torque/and rpm adjust ability....That changes the price up right there, but worth it.
Version of VCP isn't that much of a concern for you, but may want to check with Sales on selling it(?) I don't know if you can separately, usually sold with the machine,IF it's the original owner, and then think it was $50 TRANSFER FEE.

Then there are the hours on the machine/what they cut/and the care they took of machine.
Bit's and extra collets/nuts obviously have to be added.
Same with various spoilboards/jigs/and other hold downs.
Same with computers/stands/etc.
4'th access? I know someone who sold his with 2 jewelry lathes.
If owner tosses in a morning of training...take it:)
Crating and shipping...or pick-up?

Hard to add all the variables...but usually between 50-75%...60% seems average(?) Just ballpark.
Every machine seems to have a different package.
My e-mail is in my info if questions.
scott
Darn.....Whole .pdf for 5.5"Z retrofit is too large, but here's the Rail Identification that Sales needs. I can send whole .pdf if you need it by e-mail.

Bud Meade
12-24-2019, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the detailed response. Just the info for which I was looking.

pdf to bmwbud@gmail.com please.

Thanks

Bud Meade
01-07-2020, 07:02 AM
Found one and brought it home last week.

scottp55
01-07-2020, 07:56 AM
Congrats Bud! :)

Bud Meade
01-07-2020, 09:54 AM
Thanks Scott. lots to learn but most of it is most likely to be found on this forum:D