PDA

View Full Version : Older Ball Screw Z- Can it be fixed on a budget?

rb99
12-12-2008, 10:57 AM
I have 2 older ball screw Z axis. I am hoping a fellow Shopbotter has been able to upgrade the existing Z without expending too much cash.(and is willing to share:-)

They don't stay constant, and the speed needs to go up for 3d.

Thanks,

RB

waynec
12-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Richard, me again. I have an old Z axis from the PR series, and I agree its not great. I did upgrade, but I can't recommend it. Others have done upgrades in various ways. I can tell you first had it turns into a project that there is no way to stop.

I replaced my gantry and and my Z axis with a different design. It was expensive, and while it fixed some problems it was not a perfect solution.

More to your question, I upgraded my Z axis with a linear actuator from EBay. I bought a big heavy one that mounted on my new gantry. You have to be careful when looking at this, though, because you have to be sure the screw pitch range, weight capacity, and motor mount is OK. ALso, if you go this route you end up wanting to upgrade the Z axis motor with a larger one. On and on it goes.

Its a great learning experience, but not really a cost effective path to upgrade from my experience.

Wayne C

zeykr
12-13-2008, 10:28 AM
I'd look for a used PRT Z axis to mount on the PR.

rb99
12-13-2008, 12:00 PM
I am looking for a used Z!

Thanks,

RB