PDA

View Full Version : Adirondack Chair lets get more prjoject posts

phil_o
06-25-2020, 05:51 PM
I built this Adirondack chair from Fine Woodworking magazine plans. The curved legs are the only parts that I used my Shopbot to make. I've built quite a few standard Adirondack chairs when I was teaching high school wood shop. This is by far the most comfortable. I'm 70 years old with some back issues. This is my go to chair when my back is hurting. Excellent design.

Phil

scottp55
06-25-2020, 07:20 PM
That DOES look like good lumbar support Phil:)
Is there a little steam bending going on there(or is it the pic)?
Looks like a lot could be done on the 'Bot...but sometimes traditional tools work better.
Wood thickness on the back slats is...?
Is there a joint where arm rest changes angle?

Looks comfy:)
scott

phil_o
06-26-2020, 08:16 AM
Hi Scott, it is very comfy. No steam bending. The back slats contour is cut on the bandsaw and yes there is a blind loose mortise and tenon joint at the arm rest.

Phil

MogulTx
06-26-2020, 08:16 AM
That is a great looking chair Phil! I love the bent wood back. Is there a different material where the legs meet the floor? And what kind of cleat did you use to support the seat rails? It looks like that one would be great to sit in and rest a weary back! Good work!

MogulTx
06-26-2020, 08:18 AM
Ah. ...not "bent" back. Fun!

scottp55
06-26-2020, 08:57 AM
Thanks Phil!!

phil_o
06-27-2020, 08:00 AM
That is a great looking chair Phil! I love the bent wood back. Is there a different material where the legs meet the floor? And what kind of cleat did you use to support the seat rails? It looks like that one would be great to sit in and rest a weary back! Good work!
I added a 1/2" Trex scrap to the feet to prevent moisture from wicking into the legs and rotting the wood. There is no cleat to support the seat slats. I cut a groove into the curved legs on my Shopbot to hold the slats.

Phil

bill.young
06-27-2020, 10:20 AM
You can 3d print feet if you have access to a 3d printer . This was a collaboration with the AtFAB folks for slotted legs in office furniture, to both protect the floor and to keep the legs part aligned, but if you're skilled with 3d modeling you can go wild and make them look like elephant feet or whatever you want!

MogulTx
06-27-2020, 12:25 PM
Phil! GREAT idea!! I had wondered if you had done something specifically to address water and rot.

Bill Young: You too! 3D printing is a happening little hot spot. I think it will grow substantially int he coming decade. ANd that could be yet another way to mod up our projects. I like the idea of fun feet like elephant or claw foot or something!

This is why this forum is valuable to a person looking to use the shopbot!

jTr
06-27-2020, 03:12 PM
Looks great, Phil. Don't remember that option when I was in your woodshop class at Lee High, but then, that was a mere 36 years ago...!
Thanks for posting!

Jeff

phil_o
06-28-2020, 08:48 AM
Looks great, Phil. Don't remember that option when I was in your woodshop class at Lee High, but then, that was a mere 36 years ago...!
Thanks for posting!

Jeff
Jeff, I always love to hear from former students. When I taught at the high school in Lee I was teaching metal shop. Around 1982 I was transferred to Central School and taught Jr. High wood shop. :) The popular Adirondack chair project began a few years later. From 2002 - 2008 I moved to Lenox High school and continued the Adirondack chair project there. I retired in 2008 and bought a Shopbot for my home shop. We had one at the shop in Lenox and I got hooked.

Phil

jTr
06-28-2020, 11:01 AM
When I taught at the high school in Lee I was teaching metal shop.
That's right - I took "Industrial Arts", which first half was metal shop with you as teacher- making scrolls and welding with Oxy/Acetylene torch. Believe it or not, I still have the hammer I made on the metal lathe hanging on the wall in my shop to this day!
Second half was wood shop, which I thought you ran a few classes in as well. I guess the memories blend a bit over the decades...!

Here's that hammer:

Jeff

bill.young
06-28-2020, 12:20 PM
This is a very cool thread!

chiloquinruss
06-28-2020, 10:28 PM
I just wonder how many of us who love our Bots started with some high school shop class knowledge? I had several shop classes and of course the one I liked the best was wood-shop and the least was metal shop. Being a teen I liked auto shop. Because of my high school training I understood most of the commands in the Vectric software. The other high school class that also helped was my senior year in a graphics art class. This is a fun thread. Russ

phil_o
06-29-2020, 07:56 AM
That's right - I took "Industrial Arts", which first half was metal shop with you as teacher- making scrolls and welding with Oxy/Acetylene torch. Believe it or not, I still have the hammer I made on the metal lathe hanging on the wall in my shop to this day!
Second half was wood shop, which I thought you ran a few classes in as well. I guess the memories blend a bit over the decades...!

Here's that hammer:

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=33940&stc=1

Jeff

I have the same hammer in my toolbox. :) That put a smile on my face this morning. Thanks for posting. Anytime I talk to former students they all tell me that they still have their shop projects. Wonderful to hear.

Phil

Brian Harnett
06-29-2020, 11:15 AM
Here are some Catskill chairs since I live in the Catskills, I designed them a little differently than traditional, the seatboards are mortised into the main legs. I made some out of Sapele and some out of white Oak.

The shopbot cut the main legs and patterns for me to do the rest of the parts on the pin router. Some of my originals have been outside all year for at least ten years and are grey and perfectly fine,

https://i.ibb.co/C9m7DDb/IMG-0197.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/qy0G9v2/IMG-0188.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/c6pCzyZ/IMG-0185.jpg

Brian Harnett
06-29-2020, 11:21 AM
I just wonder how many of us who love our Bots started with some high school shop class knowledge? I had several shop classes and of course the one I liked the best was wood-shop and the least was metal shop. Being a teen I liked auto shop. Because of my high school training I understood most of the commands in the Vectric software. The other high school class that also helped was my senior year in a graphics art class. This is a fun thread. Russ

I took shop class industrial arts as it was called in junior high and was lucky enough to put in and get accepted to cabinet making for 10 11 12 grade it was a half day VO TECH program my teacher Mr Kamen was awesome, since then besides my time in the Army as a mechanic and welder I have been in woodworking.

scottp55
06-29-2020, 11:21 AM
Beautiful design Brian!!
SOLID yet graceful! :)
scott

phil_o
06-29-2020, 05:33 PM
The Catskill chairs are very nice. Where did you get the Sapele. I live not far from the Catskills in Berkshire county, MA. I've been to the Catskill area many times. We used to take our kids to Catskill game farm.

Phil

Brian Harnett
06-29-2020, 05:52 PM
The Catskill chairs are very nice. Where did you get the Sapele. I live not far from the Catskills in Berkshire county, MA. I've been to the Catskill area many times. We used to take our kids to Catskill game farm.

Phil

I got it from Downes & Reader Hardwood out of MA but I just looked up the website and it is not working not sure if they are still in business that would be a shame, they had good prices if buying over 500 BF even better at 1000 BF with a 25.00 truck fee Last time I got a big truckload was at least 5 years ago. I have been milling most of my own wood and kiln drying for custom work lately.

steve_g
06-30-2020, 05:49 AM
“I just wonder how many of us who love our Bots started with some high school shop class knowledge?”

The shop classes were the highlight of my day in HS!
Back in 67’-68’, my woodshop teacher would let me work on projects after school, it got to where he would go home and leave me in the shop with the understanding I wouldn’t use the table saw!

I decided that teaching shop would be my vocation. I hated teaching… teaching involves students! But my Industrial Arts training made a good basis for becoming a general contractor. I was happy again! I never went to work… I went to play every day!

SG