PDA

View Full Version : Forum Jibberish

Rickey Rocket
02-15-2021, 01:54 AM
Why does everyone’s post show strange number and symbols mixed in with the text?

Looks like:

37&

And similar

Please explain if you know.

Thank you

Red F
02-15-2021, 09:35 AM
I believe that is where the computer doesn't recognize quotation marks or something like that. Like this "

jTr
02-15-2021, 10:26 AM
Refer to my reply to your related question in the test area. These two issues go hand in hand - must search outside forum to get best results, but then you get the odd symbols interjected.
Been that way for years. I'm hoping someone can answer, but we've been dealing with this for over a decade now.
Eventually, you get used to interpreting and ignoring the distracting symbols. There's a direct correlation between your ability to disregard the jibberish and urgency of finding the information you so desperately need.

Oh well.

Jeff

chiloquinruss
02-17-2021, 03:39 PM
Just a wild guess on my part, but, a lot of our forumites are overseas and do not necessarily use "our" US character set. My guess might be that the translation of some of those characters might not get fully translated based on this forums software base. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! ;) Russ

coryatjohn
02-17-2021, 04:46 PM
What you're seeing is the characters, like Chiloquinruss said, being encoded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_encodings_in_HTML#HTML_character_referen ces

The above explains it.