PDA

View Full Version : Remove that wireless card!

richards
04-06-2006, 10:04 AM
If you're using a wireless adapter and a spindle, throw out one or the other.

After spending another $500 installing a line reactor, a load reactor, two zero-phase reactors and an EMI filter to fix the electronic noise problem on my spindle - and then still having the same sporadic glitches that I've been fighting for nine months, I finally discovered that the $45 wireless adapter was causing the problem. With the computer connected via CAT-5 cable, everything is working fine.

(I should have suspected the wireless card long ago. The icon at the bottom of the screen regularly flashed red, meaning the the connection was lost. Needless to say, when I removed the wireless card, I also removed every program on that computer except the Shopbot control program. Right now it is a one-program machine and it will stay that way.)

Brady Watson
04-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Hey Mike,
Thanks for the tip...I just got a wireless network camera, and was wondering about interference...thanks for the verification!

-B

gerald_d
04-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Mike, let's hope that this fix is really it!

Our wireless keyboard and mouse are the only things that don't like the (unfiltered) VFD/spindle so far. (never had wireless LAN). Looks like there is a moral about wireless PC accessories being verboten with VFD's around.

jeff_rowley
04-07-2006, 08:02 PM
I've had problems with glitches with my wireless card, even when running a router. I used to disable the wireless network before every cut. It got to be such a pain having to restart the network to download files that I did away with the wireless entirely and just use a USB key and sneakernet for transferring files now.

Sorry for all of your hassles, but glad you got it fixed.

richards
04-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Two full days of cutting without a single glitch!